Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Abstract of title and certificate of search as to … portion of 50 Vara lot No. 3 of Block 212, Western Addition
SFH 316  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (54.59 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Overview
 
Table of contents What's This?
Description
Title abstract for a property on the northeast corner of Laguna and Haight Streets, San Francisco
Background
Simpson & Millar were successors to C. V. Gillespie, San Francisco’s pioneer searcher of records. Thomas Hayes owned much land in the Western Addition, and Hayes Valley is named for him. New Hampshire native John P. Hill was a San Francisco merchant and former bookseller. Fernando Marchena came to San Francisco in 1842, and since 1844 had claimed title to one square league of land in San Francisco, supposedly a grant from Governor Micheltorena. After selling off portions, including those deeded to John K. Moore, Marchena was dispossessed of the land, but sued to have title re-established; his case languished, and was not pursued after his death. John K. Moore came to California from New York state in 1850 and worked as a carpenter until 1891, but for years was engaged in legal battles concerning the immense property he had purchased from Marchena. Frederick H. Lefavor was master of the U.S. SS McArthur. The property was deeded from Lefavor to Farrell McMorry in June 1884. It later became the site of the McMorry-Lagan House, a San Francisco city landmark.
Extent
1 volume
Restrictions
All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the City Archivist. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the San Francisco Public Library as the owner of the physical items.
Availability
The collection is open for research.