Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Finding aid for the Colonia Oil Company records MVC044
MVC044  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (54.54 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Overview
 
Table of contents What's This?
Description
The Colonia Oil Company was an Oxnard-based business incorporated in 1909 that held oil interests and land in the Oxnard area and around Piru. While there is sparse information regarding the company's earliest activities, it may have been active and conducting business prior to 1909 and possibly as early as the 1890s. The company dissolved in 1984. The collection covers the history and financial records of the Colonia Oil Company, including correspondence, financial records, oil leases, and ledgers, among other things.
Background
The Colonia Oil Company was an Oxnard-based business that was incorporated in 1909 by Achilles Levy, Frank Petit, W.L. Dunn, T.G. Gabbert, and H.W. Witman. The company focused on exploring and exploiting oilfields in Ventura County. Colonia also leased land to many other businesses, including companies based in Los Angeles. The firm held interests and land in the Oxnard area and around Piru. While there is sparse information regarding the company's earliest activities, it may have been active and conducting business prior to 1909 and possibly as early as the 1890s. The company dissolved in 1984.
Extent
3.95 Cubic Feet (3 boxes, 2 cartons)
Restrictions
Property rights to the physical object belong to the Museum of Ventura County. Literary rights, including copyright, have not been determined. Contact the Research Library for further information: library@venturamuseum.org
Availability
COLLECTION STORED OFF-SITE: Open for research. Collection minimally processed. All requests to access materials must be made in advance by contacting the Research Library staff via email: library@venturamuseum.org