The records of the Scripps Institution of Oceanography's Communications Office include the public relations materials collected,
created, and distributed by that office. The records document the history, research, and other activities of Scripps Institution
of Oceanography and its affiliated aquarium.
Independently founded in 1903, the Scripps Institution of Oceanography was originally named the Marine Biological Association
of San Diego. In 1912, it became part of the University of California and was renamed the Scripps Institution for Biological
Research. In 1925, the name was changed to Scripps Institution of Oceanography (SIO), to reflect the institution's major emphasis
on oceanographic research, though the institution's scope of study includes many scientific fields. Scripps became a department
of UC San Diego in 1960, when the San Diego campus was established.
28 Linear feet
(58 manuscript boxes, 2 records cartons, 4 card boxes, 1 flat box, 1 map case folder, and 11 films)
Publication rights are held by the creator of the collection.
COLLECTION STORED OFF-SITE. ALLOW ONE WEEK FOR RETRIEVAL OF MATERIALS.