Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Sacramento (Calif.). Golf Division records
View entire collection guide What's This?
Search this collection
Collection Overview
Table of contents What's This?
The collection documents the municipal golf courses of Sacramento and the activity of the City of Sacramento Parks and Recreation Department's Golf Division. Material dates from circa 1912 to 2005. The collection contains administrative and financial records from both the Golf Division and the Sacramento Golf Council; tournament records; operations and usage records; records related to the individual golf courses, golf clubs, and trapshooting clubs; plans, drawings, and maps of the golf courses; and photographs.
Sacramento is home to four municipal golf courses, which have been managed over the years by the city's Parks and Recreation Department, golf councils, and a private company. Sacramento's first municipal golf course, the 9-hole Arcade Golf Course just east of today's Haggin Oaks, opened in 1915 and closed in 1933. The 9-hole William Land Golf Course opened in William Land Park in 1924. The 18-hole Sacramento Municipal Golf Course, designed by Alistair MacKenzie, opened in Del Paso Park in 1932. Its name was changed to Haggin Oaks Municipal Golf Course in 1952. Today it is known as the Haggin Oaks Golf Complex and consists of two courses, Arcade Creek and Alistair MacKenzie. In 1952, the 18-hole Bing Maloney Golf Course, designed by Michael McDonaugh, opened on Freeport Boulevard at Florin Road; a second 9-hole course was added in 1988. The 18-hole Bartley Cavanaugh Golf Course opened in 1995 on Freeport Boulevard adjacent to the Freeport Bridge.
10.5 boxes
All requests to publish or quote from private collections held by the Center for Sacramento History (CSH) must be submitted in writing to csh@cityofsacramento.org. Permission for publication is given on behalf of Center for Sacramento History as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the patron. No permission is necessary to publish or quote from public records.
The collection is open for research.