The Descriptive Finding Guide for the Parker H. Jackson Personal Papers SDASM.SC.10078
San Diego Air and Space Museum Library and Archives
2001 Pan American Plaza, Balboa Park
San Diego 92101
Language of Material:
San Diego Air and Space Museum Library and Archives
Title: Parker H. Jackson Personal Papers
Jackson, Parker H.
Identifier/Call Number: SDASM.SC.10078
0.36 Cubic Feet
Date (inclusive): 1913-2014
Abstract: Parker H. Jackson was the biographer Richard S. Requa, the master architect of the California Pacific International Exposition
in 1935. This Collection includes documents from Jackson's studies of Requa.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open to researchers by appointment.
Conditions Governing Use
Some copyright may be reserved. Consult with the library director for more information.
[Item], [Filing Unit], [Series Title], [Subgroups], [Record Group Title and Number], [Repository “San Diego Air & Space Museum
Library & Archives”]
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The materials in this collection were donated to the San Diego Air & Space Museum. The collection has been processed and is
open for research.
Biographical / Historical
Parker H. Jackson was the biographer Richard S. Requa, the master architect of the California Pacific International Exposition
in 1935. Jackson became fascinated with Requa and his influence on architectural design after purchasing a home designed by
Requa located in the community of Kensington, in San Diego. This house was the home of George Prudden, the aviator who developed
the Prudden-San Diego Airplane company in 1926. Requa was subsequently involved as a volunteer with the San Diego Historical
Society, and with the Marine Corps Recruit Depot (MCRD) Command Museum.
Richard S. Requa had an interest in the colonial style designs of Old Mexico and the Pueblos of the Southwest, as well as
design elements from Spain and Africa. Many of the buildings he designed in Balboa Park retain these influences. Requa also
created his own architectural firm, Requa and Jackson. Two of his designs were for his own homes, located in San Diego’s Mission
Hills and Loma Portal neighborhoods, designed in 1913 and 1921, respectively.
Scope and Contents
The majority of the content in this collection are photocopied documents. The few original items in this collection include
digital media (CD/DVD), a book titled Inside Lights on the Building of San Diego’s Expo: 1932, and San Diego Magazine.
San Diego History Center, The Persian Water Rug Fountain Collection, 1649 El Prado, Suite 3, San Diego, California 92101 -
Phone: (619) 232-6203 – Parker Jackson was responsible for photographing the water rug fountain. http://www.sandiegohistory.org/journal/2000-4/photosrequa.htm.
Subjects and Indexing Terms
Jackson, Parker H.
California Pacific International Exposition (1935-1936 : San Diego, Calif.)
Ryan Aeronautical Company
Requa, Richard S.
Folder 01 – Copies of Requa Posters
Physical Description: 1. Inside Lights on the Buildings of San Diego’s Exposition: 1935 book advertisement.
2. Folded black and white aerial photograph of the Ford building and buildings east of it.
3. Poster that says “Richard S. Requa Architect – Spreckels Theatre Building San Diego, California, c. 1937” (from an original
2’x 3’, ©Parker H. Jackson, Requa’s Historian).
Folder 02 – History of Richard Requa, “Inside Lights on the Building of San Diego’s Exposition : 1935”
Physical Description: 1. Pamphlet containing history of Richard Requa, Parker H. Jackson, ©1997.
2. Book and envelope for “Inside Lights on the Building of San Diego’s Exposition : 1935,” reissue copyright 1997.
Folder 03 – Digital Media, Parker H. Jackson
Physical Description: 1. CD/DVD – Parker H. Jackson, Richard S. Requa, AIA’s Historian – titled “Fair in the West,” 10 min. and “Balboa Park on
Film,” 17 min.
2. CD/DVD – “The Landscaped World of Milton P. Sessions,” Oral histories, video concept, edited, funded by Parker H. Jackson.
3. CD/DVD – “Requa/Prudden Bios written by Parker H. Jackson,” donated to the San Diego Air & Space Museum, Balboa Park, November
Folder 04 – Solar Blast Publication Solar Aircraft Co.
Physical Description: 1. SOLAR Vol. 13, 46 pages, November, 1952.
2. SOLAR Magazine, unknown edition, 23 pages, c. 1952
Folder 05 – Scrapbook, George Prudden, Solar Turbines
Physical Description: 1. Photocopied newspaper articles with information on George Pruden and other miscellaneous information, The San Diego Union,
7 pages, November 13, 1927, April 15, 1928, January 28, 1964, October 25, 1995.
2. 10 pages of minutes of the Luncheon Meeting of the San Diego Architectural Association held at the Brown Bear, and correspondence
, November 29, 1927, December 5, 1927, December 12, 1927, June 4, 1929.
3. George Hall Solar Turbines list of photograph descriptions that belonged to a scrapbook donated to the San Diego Historical
Society by Edmund T. Price on June 13, 1957 (Album #129), 4 pages, February, 1992.
4. Solar Turbine 75th History Publication, 8 photocopied pages.
Folder 06 – San Diego Magazine, July, 1929
Physical Description: 1. San Diego Magazine, 160th Anniversary, Vol. 5, No. 7July, 1929.
Folder 07 – Copies of Binder 1 of 6
Physical Description: 1. Ten pages of photocopies presumably from the San Diego Historical Society Library and Manuscripts Collection and the Parker
H. Jackson Collection 2008 containing images of landscaping.
Folder 08 – Copies of Binder 2 of 6
Physical Description: 1. Nine pages of photocopies presumably from the San Diego Historical Society Research Archives of the Separation Sheets and
the 1915 Exposition news (San Diego Balboa Park), April, August, 1915.
Folder 09 – Copies of Binder 3 of 6
Physical Description: 1. Four photocopied pages of the makers of San Diego’s Panama California Exposition, 1915.
2. One photocopied poster of the San Diego County Fair, Del Mar, California, August 7 to 15, 1937.
3. Photocopy of a newspaper page titled “The Landscaped World of MILTON P. SESSIONS,” c. July, 1993.
4. Photocopy of Ford Motor Credit Company correspondence to Milton P. Sessions, June 3, 1993.
5. Four photocopied pages of Session’s Garden Pointers, Vol. 1, No. 1, October, 1930.
6. Four photocopied pages of Session’s Garden Pointers, Vol. 1, No. 2, November, 1930.
7. Four photocopied pages of Session’s Garden Pointers, Vol. 1, No. 4, Spring Issue, 1931.
8. Four photocopied pages of Session’s Garden Pointers, Vol. 1, No. 5, Early Summer Issue, 1931.
9. One photocopied page of the 22nd agricultural District Del Mar Fairgrounds, 1936, Your Souvenir of the 1993 Del Mar Flower
10. Four photocopied pages from The San Diego Union on the San Diego Exposition buildings and gardens, January 1, 1913.
Folder 10 – Copies of Binder 4 of 6
Physical Description: 1. 36 pages of photocopied newspaper articles, images, and correspondence related to the San Diego Exposition, Balboa Park,
and the Ford Building.
Folder 11 – Copies of Binder 5 of 6
Physical Description: 1. Two photocopied pages of the California Arts & Architecture magazine or newspaper highlighting the San Diego California
Pacific International Exposition, August, 1935.
2. One photocopied page on the International Landscaping of Balboa park, August, 1935.
3. One photocopied page of images of the Ford building under construction and landscaping, 1935.
4. Two photocopied pages of the San Diego Union articles on the expo buildings, July 7, 1935.
5. Two identical photocopied aerial images of Balboa park from east to west, 1935.
Folder 12 – Copies of Binder 6 of 6
Physical Description: 1. Seven photocopied pages of Milton P. Sessions’ biography, February 22, 1993.
2. Two photocopied pages from Walking The Plank, November-December, 1992.
3. Six photocopied pages from A Dream Come True in the San Diego Magazine, April, 1930.
4. Twenty-five photocopied pages of the San Diego Historical Society’s Oral History Program, an interview with Milton Paine
Sessions, November 1, 1990.
5. Eleven photocopied pages of the Roads of the Pacific Ford Exhibit and McCLintock House Landscapes and Milton P. Sessions
Landscape Architect, by Jo Jackson, December 6, 1994.
6. Five photocopied pages of Milton P. Sessions’ biography, revised June 26, 1993.
7. Two photocopied pages presumably from Milton P. Sessions’ biography
Folder 13 – Deed of Gift
Physical Description: 1. SDASM Deed of Gift – Donation Confirmation & Transfer of Legal Ownership, Parker Jackson, signed by Nelson Chase, November