A collection of newspaper articles, correspondence, photographs, and ephemera related to the history of the House of Pacific
Relations and International Cottages in Balboa Park.
The House of Pacific Relations in Balboa Park was created for the California-Pacific International Exposition of 1935. Frank
Drugan, mastermind of the Exposition itself, established the organization “to foster and cultivate a spirit of understanding,
tolerance, and good will.” The organization was non-political, non-religious, and non-profit. At its creation nineteen nations
occupied fifteen buildings situated between the Ford Building (Aerospace Museum) and the Spreckels Organ Pavilion. By 2014,
there were a total of thirty two national groups occupying the original fifteen cottages, as well as four new cottages, and
the Hall of Nations. Membership in the House of Pacific Relations (“pacific” meaning peaceful) was constantly changing as
many countries gained and relinquished membership in the organization.
2.25 Linear feet
The San Diego History Center (SDHC) holds the copyright to any unpublished materials. SDHC Library regulations do apply.
This collection is open for research.