The Berkeley Branch Railroad was incorporated by the Central Pacific Railroad on September 25, 1876, 3.84 miles from Shellmound
via Shattuck Avenue to Vine Street (Berrymans) in Berkeley, reaching that point on July 1, 1878. Operated by the Central
Pacific Railroad under lease from August 16, 1876, to April 1, 1885 and by the Southern Pacific Company until May 15, 1888.
The road had no locomotives of its own. Its line formed a part of the extensive electric interurban system in the East Bay
operated by the Southern Pacific Company from 1911 to 1940. [Guy Dunscomb, A CENTURY OF SOUTHERN PACIFIC STEAM LOCOMOTIVES,
1862-1962 (Modesto, California: 1967), p. 393]
Copyright has not been assigned to the California State Railroad Museum. All requests for permission to publish or quote
from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the District Collections Manager. Permission for publication is given on
behalf of the CSRM as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright
holder, which must also be obtained by the reader.