Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
La Jolla Yearbook Collection
Yearbook Collection  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (53.35 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Overview
Table of contents What's This?
The La Jolla Historical Society’s Yearbook Collection is made up of over 150 yearbooks collected by the La Jolla Historical Society since the 1930s to use for historical research and reference. The Yearbook Collection dates from 1917 through the present and consists of yearbooks from La Jolla High School (The Reflector, La Jolla Hi Tide and Viking), The Bishop’s School (El Miradero), La Jolla Country Day School (L’espirit), Torrey Pines Elementary School, Muirlands Junior High School (Trojan and Highlights), and San Diego High School (The Russ). A complete list of holdings is available under "additional collection guides."
The La Jolla Historical Society inspires and empowers the community to make La Jolla’s diverse past a relevant part of contemporary life. The La Jolla Historical Society’s Collections encompass over 80 years of actively collecting archival material, books, maps, scrapbooks, ephemera, fine art, newspapers, street and land use files, business and personal documents and historic and prehistoric artifacts. The Society boasts over 20,000 photographs, over 1000 postcards, 600-plus architectural drawings and approximately 200 oral history recordings. Collecting was initiated by Howard Randolph and volunteers on the historical committee of the Library Association of La Jolla. The Collection began by gathering photographs and documentation in the late 1930s, which later became the nucleus of the La Jolla Historical Society’s Collections. The Society was created in 1964. Through many moves in location the Society continued collecting and expanding. Accumulated Collections took on its current construct in 2010 after the renovation of the La Jolla Historical Society’s campus of structures in central La Jolla, which consists of the 1904 Wisteria Cottage and 1940s Balmer Annex used for exhibits and programming, and a 1909 cottage used for business and research offices. The late Ellen Browning Scripps’ 1916 automobile garage was also renovated and now houses the Collection in a state-of-the-art collections storage facility. Materials are housed in archival boxes, sleeves, envelopes and other archival-safe materials and are cared for according to standards and best practices. In 2016, the Society initiated new PastPerfect Museum Software to manage and catalog its Collections and in 2018 started using the Online Archive of California to upload searchable information from its Collections to enable improved public access. The Society will continue these processes and look forward to utilizing new opportunities to collect, preserve and share the history of La Jolla.
151 Yearbooks
The La Jolla Historical Society holds the copyright to any unpublished materials
The Collection is open for research