This collection contains typed and hand-written notes on land grants in California, including sizes and purchasers of properties.
The notes relate to Butte County, Tehama County and Colusa County, during the 18th and 19th centuries. The notes were created
between 1908 and 1914. Names pertaining to land grants mentioned include: John Bidwell, Edward Farwell, Dionecius Fernandez,
Peter Lassen, Samuel Neal, John Parrott, James Phelan, Samuel Todd and John Williams.
Spanish settlers began populating California in 1769, and from then until 1822, land titles in California remained within
Spanish control. Following 1822, land was granted to Mexican settlers and by 1847 Mexican land grants covered the western
half of California up to the Sacramento Valley. After the war between Mexico and the United States, and the Treaty of Guadalupe
Hildalgo (1848), California came under the jurisdiction of the United States. The passing of a land claim act in 1851 by the
United States Government created a board of land commissioners, and most land grants to European settlers followed. In Butte
County, all Spanish or Mexican land grants occurred between 1860 and 1863.