Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Guide to the University of San Diego Construction records
Consult repository  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (94.03 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Overview of the Collection
  • Historical Note
  • Scope and Content Note
  • Arrangement
  • Access
  • Preferred Citation
  • Processing Information
  • Bibliography
  • Related Material
  • Index Terms

  • Overview of the Collection

    Title: University of San Diego Construction records
    Dates (inclusive): 1905-1999
    Dates (bulk): 1946-1999
    Creator: University of San Diego
    Extent: 3 boxes, 1 map case drawer (4 linear feet)
    Repository: University of San Diego, Archives and Special Collections
    Copley Library
    5998 Alcalá Park
    San Diego, CA 92110
    spcoll@sandiego.edu
    Abstract: This collection contains construction records for the University of San Diego. Records include architectural drawings, correspondence, photographs, planning information, and reports.
    Languages: English

    Historical Note

    Construction for the College for Women and College for Men began in December 1949 and continued through the 1950s. The earliest campus buildings included the College for Women (now Camino Hall and Founders Hall), the Immaculata, the Seminary (now Maher Hall), the Administration building, the School of Law, and the Law Library. Construction on the Arts and Sciences building was completed in 1959. It was then dedicated as Serra Hall. In 2019, it was renamed Saints Tekakwitha and Serra Hall.
    Additional construction and University planning occurred in the 1970s. Construction on the School of Nursing was completed in November 1976 and increased student housing was added in 1979 and 1981 with what was then called Mission Crossroads. In 2019, the housing area was rededicated Mata’yuum Crossroads.
    As the University grew through the 1980s, extensive construction continued on campus. Buildings erected included the Manchester Executive Conference center dedicated on February 26, 1984, the Helen K. and James S. Copley Library dedicated April 8, 1984, the School of Business’ Olin Hall dedicated October 19, 1984, Alcalá Vista housing and the Ernest Hahn University Center in 1987, the Law Library completed in late 1988 and the Manchester Family Child Development Center completed in 1989.
    Master planning in the mid-1990s sought to address the needs of the continually growing University. The 1994 Master Plan included expansion of parking areas, a sports center complex, additions to Harmon Hall, Olin Hall, Hughes Administration Center, and renovations to student housing.
    The 2000s brought further growth with the Jenny Craig Pavilion completed in Fall 2000, the Joan B. Kroc Center for Peace and Justice dedicated in December 2001, the Shiley Center for Science and Technology in Fall 2003, the Degheri Alumni Center in 2004, and Mother Rosalie Hill Hall in 2007. A new Master Plan was developed in 2016.
    See bibliographic references for additional historical information.

    Scope and Content Note

    These records document various construction activities at the University of San Diego, primarily construction of the University Center, the Seminary building, and the Arts and Sciences building. The majority of the records date to the early construction of the University of San Diego and the College for Women in the 1950s to the early 1970s. Records include correspondence, plans, contracts, photographs, reports, and architectural drawings.
    These records also include planning materials for the growth of the University of San Diego pertaining to new buildings and campus expansion. Among these records are publications of the USD Master Plan, Environmental Impact Report Archaeological and Historical Reports, and photographs associated with the Master Plans. Records consist of the Master Plans of 1970 and the mid-1990s. Master Plans include overviews of campus areas as they existed at the time and projections for future developments. These plans show stages of campus growth and changing priorities over the decades. The archaeological and historical studies were conducted by Dr. Raymond Brandes for various buildings and plans. Research materials gathered in preparation for these reports are also included.

    Arrangement

    The University of San Diego Construction records are organized into two series:

    Access

    This collection is open for research.

    Preferred Citation

    [Folder Title], Box # Folder #, University of San Diego Construction records, Copley Library, University of San Diego, Archives and Special Collections.

    Processing Information

    This collection was processed by Ashley Toutain in 2019.

    Bibliography

    Historical information about the early construction of the University of San Diego can be found in the following texts.
    • Boudoin, Burt J. Fortress on the Hill - Founding the University of San Diego and the San Diego College for Women, 1942-1963. Mission Hills, CA: Saint Francis Historical Society, 2001.
    • Engstrand, Iris Wilson, and Clare White. The First Forty Years: A History of the University of San Diego, 1949-1989. San Diego: University of San Diego, 1989.

    Related Material

    Information on building dedications can also be found in the University Relations records.
    Video footage of building dedications including the Degheri Alumni Center, Jenny Craig Pavilion, Joan Kroc Institute for Peace and Justice, and Shiley Center for Science and Technology are available.

    Index Terms

    Subjects and Indexing Terms

    University of San Diego

    Subjects and Indexing Terms

    (San Diego, Calif.)

    Subjects and Indexing Terms

    buildings design and construction

    Subjects and Indexing Terms

    architectural drawings (visual works)