Collection contains administrative papers and publications of the Auxiliary of the Josephine D. Randall Junior Museum and
later the Josephine D. Randall Junior Museum Society as well as records of the Museum. Also includes records, historical photographs,
photo albums, and scrapbooks of the Museum.
The Josephine D. Randall Junior Museum was the brainchild of Josephine Randall, San Francisco’s Superintendent of Recreation
and the city’s first female department head, and Bert Walker, a naturalist at San Francisco’s Camp Mather. Originally named
the “Junior Recreation Museum,” it opened in February 1937 on Ocean Avenue, occupying a building at the Old County Jail on
Ocean Avenue after the jail relocated in 1934. The Junior Museum was the first recreation center of its kind in San Francisco
and the third of its kind in the United States.
7 cartons, 3 oversize manuscript boxes, 1 flat oversize box.
(11 Cubic Feet)
All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the City Archivist. Permission
for publication is given on behalf of the San Francisco Public Library as the owner of the physical items.
The collection is available for use during San Francisco History Center hours, with photographs available during Photo Desk
hours. Collections that are stored offsite should be requested 48 hours in advance.