This collection contains a bound book and original records detailing the donation of the Saint Thomas More Library to the
San Diego College for Women by Dr. Julia Metcalf. The book and records include an account of the founding of Saint Thomas
More Library, correspondence, telegrams, board of directors' meeting minutes and resolutions, affidavit of service by mail,
and a list of books in the collection.
Julia Metcalf was one of nine children born in Massachusetts circa 1875. In 1914, she migrated to California with her sister
Sarah and brother Theodore. The siblings traveled back east soon after arriving in California to provide medical support to
France during World War I. Julia and Sarah returned to California in June 1919 and inspired by letters childhood friend from
Pauline Willis, decided to establish a Catholic library to inspire people to join the Catholic faith. After facing difficulties
securing a rent-free office space to house the collection, and receiving word from the Chancery Office that they should give
up on the dream of a Catholic library, the sisters chose to set up the library in their Los Angeles home in 1935.The Saint Thomas More Library, as it was blessed on March 25, 1935, contained thousands of liberal Catholic books and hosted
lectures each Monday with prominent Catholic thinkers. The library became a nonprofit corporation in 1941. Membership grew
to include new converts, high school and college students, and movie studios. When Sarah died in 1941, Julia continued to
manage the library with the help of assistants until failing health prompted her to transfer ownership of the collection to
a trusted organization. Because of Julia's fond memories of her Convent of the Sacred Heart education, she chose to give the
collection to the San Diego College for Women, operated by the Religious of the Sacred Heart, in June 1953.The San Diego College for Women was established in 1949 by Mother Rosalie Clifton Hill to educate young women in the Religious
of the Sacred Heart tradition. The college shared a campus with the San Diego College for Men and the School of Law but operated
as a separate higher education institution until the 1960s when it began integrating courses and student organizations with
the men's college. In 1972, the San Diego College for Women merged with the San Diego College for Men and the School of Law
to become the University of San Diego.
0.25 Linear Feet
1 legal document box
The Saint Thomas More Library Gift collection is the physical property of the University of San Diego, Archives and Special
Collections. Copyright, except in cases where material has passed into the public domain, belongs to the authors or their
legal heirs and assigns.
This collection is open for research.