The Interfaith Council of Greater Sacramento records are 3.5 linear feet of materials that span from February 26th, 1929 to
December 1998. The materials are broken into three series; printed materials, newspapers, and photographs and artifacts.
The majority of printed materials are a collection of Church bulletins and other News published by the Interfaith Council
of Greater Sacramento itself. Other printed materials include executive board minutes and other executive documents, community
flyers, community group information, and other event postings. The newspapers are a collection of weekly Church columns, other
Church related articles, and an assortment of Christianity related articles. Included in the newspaper series is an oversized
scrapbook kept by the Interfaith Council of Greater Sacramento. Some small artifacts included are a door plaque and printing
plate. Lastly is a collection of photographs of Interfaith Council of Greater Sacramento members, including Bishop Francis
The Interfaith Council of Greater Sacramento began officially as the Federation of Churches in 1920. Originally, it was a
conglomeration of many Christian Churches in the Sacramento religious community. It focused on building relationships and
connections with the Christian community and providing Christians with a common voice. The Federation of Churches, as the
Interfaith Council of Greater Sacramento is now, was a mix of Catholic, orthodox, denominational and nondenominational Christian
Churches. The Federation of Churches also held good relationships with both Buddhist and Jewish religious groups. In 1978,
the organization changed its name to the Interfaith Service Bureau (ISB). Its purpose was to foster to the greater Sacramento
area and recognize that the “entire religious faith community needs to work together in fostering greater understanding and
respect among different faiths and in addressing human needs in the community.” The Interfaith Service Bureau shares worship
experiences, educates the community on different faiths, and focuses on addressing human needs in Sacramento. Prominent members
and leaders of the organization over time include Bishop Francis Quinn and Charles Goethe. Over the Interfaith Service Bureau’s
long history, they have published many printed materials including magazines, articles, and newspaper columns. The Interfaith
Service Bureau has published multiple monthly bulletins and readers including the following not inclusive materials; Council
of Churches news notes from 1933 to 1963, News Bulletins from 1972 to 1980, the Interfaith Voice from 1981 to 1995 and currently
(2009) the ISB News. They have been a leader in community outreach programs and clubs. They have sponsored organization
such as; the 1930’s Apalachi club, a Church wives organization and the 1980’s Gray Panthers, a Christian youth group. The
Interfaith Service Bureau changed its name to the Interfaith Council of Greater Sacramento in 2011.
3.5 linear feet
(4 boxes + 1 oversized box)
All requests to publish or quote from private collections held by the Center for Sacramento History (CSH) must be submitted
in writing to email@example.com. Permission for publication is given on behalf of CSH as the owner of the physical
items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the patron.
No permission is necessary to publish or quote from public records.
Collection is open for research use.