The Santa Clara Valley Local History Collection, 1847-2006 (bulk 1890-1960) documents the history of the Santa Clara Valley
after the arrival of European and overland settlers. The records consist of Chamber of Commerce publications promoting the
Santa Clara Valley as an idyllic place to live, work and visit; writings, reminiscences, photographs and ephemera documenting
the prominent pioneer and
Californio families of the Santa Clara Valley; and printed materials documenting some of the county’s historic landmarks, businesses,
organizations and religious institutions. The collection also includes a small selection of materials from San Francisco and
other neighboring communities. The collection is arranged into six series: Series I. Businesses & Organizations, 1847-1968;
Series II. 1906 Earthquake, 1906-2006 (bulk 1906); Series III. People & Places, 1896-1995 (bulk 1915-1975); Series IV. Promotional
Materials & Souvenirs, 1872-1978 (bulk 1872-1959); Series V. Religious Institutions, 1864-1989 (bulk 1891-1969); and Series
VI. Writings & Remembrances, 1886-1992 (bulk 1890-1960).
Santa Clara University was founded in 1851 by the Society of Jesus as Santa Clara College and is California’s oldest operating
institution of higher learning. It was established on the grounds of Mission Santa Clara de Asìs, the eighth of the original
21 California missions. The college originally operated as a preparatory school and did not offer courses of collegiate rank
until 1853. The institution became known as the University of Santa Clara in 1912, when the schools of engineering and law
were added. For 110 years, Santa Clara University was an all-male school. In 1961, women were accepted as undergraduates and
Santa Clara University became the first coeducational Catholic university in California. The number of students and faculty
tripled over the next decade and the university began the largest building program in school history with eight residence
halls, a student union, and an athletic stadium. In the early 1970s, the Board of Trustees voted to limit the size of the
undergraduate population, an action that was intended to preserve the character and ensure the quality of the university for
generations to come. In 1985, the university adopted Santa Clara University as its official name. Bibliography: Santa Clara University. “About SCU – History.” www.scu.edu/about/history.cfm (Accessed Nov. 23, 2010) McKevitt, Gerald, S.J.
The University of Santa Clara: A History, 1851-1977. Stanford, California: Stanford University Press, 1979.
6.9 linear feet
(10 boxes, 2 items)
Materials in Archives & Special Collections may be subject to copyright. All requests for permission to publish from manuscripts
must be submitted in writing to the University Archivist. Permission for publication is given on behalf of Archives & Special
Collections as the owner of the physical materials, and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder,
which must also be obtained. Copyright restrictions also apply to digital reproductions of the original materials.
The collection is open for research. There are no restrictions.