This collection includes documents, letters, programs, publications, and other material related to the South Coast Botanic
Gardens. Subjects include the history and operation of the South Coast Botanic Garden and its 50th-anniversary celebration.
The South Coast Botanic Garden is located in Palos Verdes, California. Before 1956, the land was used to mine diatomaceous
earth. After mining had declined, the land was sold to Los Angeles and used as a sanitary landfill until Los Angeles could
come up with a plan for the area. In 1961 Frances Young and other private citizens brought the idea to the County Board of
Supervisors to turn the land into a botanical garden, and in April 1961 the first significant planting had begun. Today the
plant collection consists of more than 200,000 plants.
All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Director of Archives
and Special Collections. Permission for publication is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical
materials and not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained.
There are no access restrictions on this collection.