The complete business records of the
Galleria dell'Ariete of Milan, Italy, from 1955, when it opened, through its closing in the
mid-1980s. It was among the most important galleries in Italy for contemporary art, and had
extensive connections with dealers, collectors, artists, and critics in Europe, the United
States, and Japan. The archive documents these connections through correspondence, business
and financial papers, catalogs, press clippings, and an extensive photographic
Beatrice Monti della Corte opened the Galleria dell'Ariete at Via San Andrea, 5, Milan,
Italy in 1955, when she was twenty-five years old, principally as a showplace for modern
art-her first major exhibition at the gallery was of lithographs and engravings by
Picasso-though the formal statutes of the company state that its object is 'il commercio in
generale di opere d'arte antiche e moderne'. Thus Monti della Corte regularly exhibited and
dealt in such items as 17th to 19th century Indian miniature paintings, Afghan kilims and
dhurries, 19th century American patchwork quilts, and 18th and 19th century Italian folk
paintings on glass. A 1958 exhibition, Tauromachia, brought together
engravings of bullfighting subjects by Goya and Picasso.
46.43 Linear Feet
(88 boxes; 2 flatfile folders)
Contact Library Reproductions and Permissions.
Open for use by qualified researchers.