The collection is made up of Justice Court records from Sacramento County. They cover specific cities and townships, including
Sacramento, American, Brighton, Folsom, Franklin, Granite, Natoma (included Folsom and Mormon Island), and San Joaquin. Material
is specific to Sacramento unless otherwise identified by another township.
The California State Constitution of 1850 created the Justice Courts as part of the Court of Sessions. Under this act, there
were to be two justices of the peace in each county. Jurisdiction in civil cases was limited to the township from which the
justice of the peace was elected, and included recovery of money under contracts of $200 or less, actions for foreclosures
of any mortgage or personal property or enforcement of a lien of $200 or less, actions for damages of $200 or less, and actions
for recovery of specific property of less than $200 value. Criminal jurisdiction included examination and commitment of persons
charged with crimes, issuance of writs and processes, and setting of bail. Under the State Constitution of 1879, when the
Superior Court system was created, the duties of the Justice Court remained basically the same.
14.25 Linear Feet
(1 record carton, 1 manuscript box, 79 ledgers)