Collection of records for the First
Congregational Church of Stockton, California, from various church
groups/organizations of prominent women of Stockton.
The First Congregational Church of Stockton, California was officially
organized in 1865, and Reverend P. G. Buchanan was pastor. The newly formed
Sunday School was divided into classes by age and gender. The Sunshine Class
was made up of girls age twelve and up and later became the Young Ladies Aid
Society. They raised money for the church by giving plays, homemade dinners,
and bazaars. Around 1910 they combined with "Semper Fidelis." The Missionary
Society, formed of women, corresponded with missionaries, and read the letters
at their meetings.
Permission for publication is given on behalf of Special Collections as
the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply
permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the
Collection open for research.