The San Jose Council of Churches was founded in 1942, and became in 1956 the Santa Clara County Council of Churches. The primary
concern and emphasis during the first eight years was religious education, but the ecumenical group's outreach grew significantly
to include prisoner and juvenile detention chaplaincy, anti-gambling efforts, race relations and housing discrimination, evangelism,
migrant farm worker support and programs, and programs for the elderly, refugees, and other marginalized groups.