In 1963, architect Francis Palms (1910-1982) and “Connie” Clampett Palms (1897-1992), a former actress, married. Connie Clampett
Palms had lived in Monterey and Carmel since 1906. Francis Palms (1910-1982) had worked on housing projects and office buildings
in New York, Virginia and Washington, D. C. Arriving on the Monterey Peninsula in 1952 he became involved in historic preservation
and community organizations, as well as local architectural designing and planning. He worked on the repair and restoration
of Colton Hall, the Rodriguez-Osio adobe and the French Consulate building, as well as other historic structures.
Shortly after their marriage, the Palms moved into the Gordon House. The Gordon House was reportedly an early milled lumber
house, built about 1850 by Philip Roach. Roach sold the property to William S. Johnson, a town and county official. The
fourth owner, for whom the house was named, was Samuel B. Gordon, president of the Monterey Board of Trustees, 1877-1883.
The house had many subsequent owners. In 1948-1949, the owner, Neville M. J. Cramer, made some modifications to the interior
and exterior. The Palms enhanced the interior design with fine furnishings and cultivated the house gardens. During the
Palms’ residence, the house was listed as 526 Pierce Street, and is located on present-day Dutra between Jefferson and King
Street, near Colton Hall.
In 1988, cartoonist Hank Ketchum purchased both the Palms house and the adjacent studio, with the provision that Mrs. Palms
could remain in residence as long as she lived.
Ketchum used the studio until 1995, when the City of Monterey acquired both buildings.
1 portfolio (10 photoprints); 10 photographic prints. 4 x 37 x 41.5 cm. Portfolio case.
Reproduction by Local History Librarian or other designated staff; may be restricted due to condition of the materials.
Access by appointment only; contact Local History Librarian or designated staff.