The architecture designed by E. Stewart Williams FAIA (1909-2005) from 1947 until his retirement in 1996 is integral to the
fabric of Palm Springs. Producing residencies, banks, schools, hospitals, and colleges, he initially worked with his father
Harry and bother Roger in the firm Williams, Williams and Williams, and later with John Porter Clark, as Williams, Clark and
Williams. Educated at Cornell University and the University of Pennsylvania, Williams was grounded in the Beaux-Arts tradition,
and became a confirmed Modernist. Beginning with his first residential design, a home for Frank Sinatra, Williams used a spectrum
of materials--natural and industrial--to create structures that had the elegance and simplicity of Modern aesthetics combined
with a textural and chromatic sensitivity to the desert. His works include the Palm Springs Art Museum, numerous financial
institutions and residences in Palm Springs.
No interpretive restriction is placed on material. Separate permissions to be obtained for publishing material. Property
rights to the physical object belong to the Palm Springs Art Museum. Literary rights, including copyright, are retained by
the creators and their heirs. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine who holds the copyright and pursue
the copyright owner or his or her heir for permission to publish where Palm Springs Art Museum does not hold the copyright.