Sachsenhausen concentration camp, located in Oranienburg, Germany, was established in 1936 and used primarily for political
prisoners. Its location, 22 miles north of Berlin, gave it a primary position among German concentration camps, and in fact
the administrative center of all the camps was in Oranienburg. Sachsenhausen was also a training center for SS officers.
Gross-Rosen concentration camp, established in 1940 as a satellite of Sachsenhausen, was actually a network of close to 100
subcamps located in eastern Germany, Czechoslovakia, and occupied Poland. At its peak in 1944, this network of camps housed
11% of the total number of inmates in Nazi concentration camps.
All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Manuscripts Librarian.
Permission for publication is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical items and is not intended
to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained.