Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Loyola Marymount University Archives Student Services Departments Records
UA.007.003  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (55.53 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Overview
 
Table of contents What's This?
Description
This collection consists of records created by various student services departments of Loyola Marymount University (LMU) from 1973-2015, beginning after the merger of Loyola University and Marymount College. Most of the departments included in this collection are from the Student Affairs Division, with the exception of Work Study and Disability Support Services. This collection illustrates how the various services offered to students have expanded and/or evolved over time. This collection includes correspondence, memoranda, meeting agendas and notes, department promotional material such as brochures, event planning documents, event programs and flyers, program evaluations, student handbooks/guidebooks, and procedural manuals.
Background
Loyola Marymount University (LMU), located in Los Angeles, California, was founded as Loyola College of Los Angeles in 1911 by members of the Society of Jesus after the closure of St. Vincent’s College, a school for boys created by Vincentian Fathers in 1865. Loyola College grew quickly and a new campus was selected in 1917. In 1920, Loyola College began offering graduate level education by founding a separate law school. Official establishment of a graduate division would not occur until June 1950 even though the law school continued to thrive and after a Teacher Education Program at Loyola College had been created in 1948. Continued growth of the college prompted a second move for Loyola College in 1929 to the current campus in Westchester. Incorporated as Loyola College in 1918, the school achieved official university status in 1930. While Loyola University was experiencing a high growth rate in the early 20th century, so was the education program offered by the Religious of Sacred Heart of Mary for young women that had begun in 1923. In 1933, Marymount Junior College was opened in Westwood, Los Angeles. The college continued to grow; in 1948 the Junior College became a four-year university and granted its first baccalaureate degrees in 1948. In 1960, Marymount College moved to a campus on the Palos Verdes Peninsula to accommodate its growing student body. In 1968, Marymount College moved one last time to share the Loyola University campus. Although the two schools shared a physical space, Marymount College and Loyola University were still two separate schools and remain so for five years. Loyola Marymount University was officially named in 1973 after Loyola University and Marymount College merged. LMU offers a variety of student services with the goal of supporting and enhancing student learning. As members of a Jesuit/Catholic institution, the LMU Student Affairs Division strives to create a learning environment with innovative programs that instills in students the value of service, the importance of an intercultural community, and prepare students for the future. The student services departments are available to help all students in all aspects needed to succeed while at LMU.
Extent
23 boxes; 9.59 linear feet
Restrictions
Materials in the Department of Archives and Special Collections may be subject to copyright. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, Loyola Marymount University does not claim ownership of the copyright of any materials in its collections. The user or publisher must secure permission to publish from the copyright owner. Loyola Marymount University does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or of publication rights held by the original author or artists or his/her heirs, assigns, or executors.
Availability
Collection is open to research under the terms of use of the Department of Archives and Special Collections, Loyola Marymount University.