Founded in 1916, Troop 1 of the Sacramento Boy Scouts of America has prepared hundreds of Sacramento youths through outdoor
activities, leadership training and community service. This collection is comprised of records of the local organization
dating from around the time of its incorporation to the present.
In March 1916, a group of boys at First Methodist Church at 21st and J Streets in Sacramento applied to the newly-formed national
Boy Scouts of America to form the area's first incorporated scouting unit – Troop 1. W. George Spilman served as the group's
scoutmaster and First Methodist Church sponsored the group. In October 1920, the Sacramento Council formed to govern and
support troops in the area. The Council later expanded to encompass most of Northern California and was renamed Golden Empire
Council in 1937.
1 Linear Feet
(1 Archival Box)