Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Fuller Theological Seminary School of Theology Deans’ Files
CFT00136  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (54.77 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Overview
 
Table of contents What's This?
Description
The Fuller Theological Seminary School of Theology Deans’ Files, 1944- consists of the office files of Fuller Seminary Dean’s Office (1947-1965) and the Dean’s Office of the School of Theology (1965-Present). The “Dean Files” from 1947-1965 contains papers related to the general operation of the overall Seminary and its programs. Reflecting the the 1965 transition of the original “Dean’s Office” into the Dean’s Office of the School of Theology, the collection’s contents focus on the School of Theology administration. Materials include the records of Harold Lindsell (1952 to 1963), Daniel Payton Fuller (1963 to 1973), and William Dyrness (1990-2000). Harold Lindsell's files include Library records kept by the faculty library committee, 1948-1965. Of particular interest—the collection includes Fuller Seminary’s contracts for the Veterans Administration and the Seminary’s Articles of Incorporation.
Background
From Fall 1947-Spring 1965, Fuller Seminary’s academic programs were administered under the Dean of Administration, later designated “Dean of the Faculty” (in 1955). Thus, the “Dean Files” from 1947-1965 contains papers related to the general operation of the overall Seminary and theological programs. Fuller Seminary opened with a single degree offering, the Bachelor of Divinity (B.D.). Fuller Seminary inaugurated its Graduate School of Theology during the 1950-1951 school year, when students wishing to pursue studies beyond the Bachelor of Divinity were enrolled. In 1965, the School of Psychology and the School of Intercultural Studies opened, requiring an individual Dean to administer each School. Thus, the original “Dean’s Office” (1947-1965) became the Dean’s Office of the School of Theology. On July 1, 2019, the SOT Dean’s office merged with the SIS Dean’s office under the leadership of Dr. Amos Yong. Harold Lindsell was a founding member of the Seminary, beginning as Registrar in 1947. He also taught Church History and Missions Orientation. Lindsell served as Dean of the Faculty from 1948-1963. Daniel Payton Fuller had many and varied roles at the Seminary through the years, including student, teaching fellow, and Dean. He served as a faculty member until 2000.
Extent
26 Boxes, 10.83 linear feet
Restrictions
All rights reserved.
Availability
Supervised use only. Scholarly use within parameters of copyright law. Materials are restricted until 30 years from the date of creation.