The original Angels
Flight Railway opened on Bunker Hill in 1901. The funicular railway was built by J.W. (James
Ward) Eddy, and connected Hill and Olive Streets. Over the next sixty years a number of
different owner-operators controlled Angels Flight. In 1962, the City of Los Angeles forced
sale to the City. The City hired the Oliver and William Elevator Co. to run the railway
until it was dismantled in 1969. Meant to be a temporary closure while the City undertook
improvements to the Bunker Hill area, much of the railway was put into storage at this time.
In the 1980s, the Los Angeles 200 Committee, who was planning celebrations for the
bicentennial of the City's founding, learned the state of the Angels Flight restoration. In
1991, the City finally began restoration efforts under the auspices of the Angels Flight
Railway Foundation. The re-opening gala took place February 24, 1996. The railway was closed
for further restoration and safety upgrades once more from 2014 to 2017. The three items in
this collection are directly related to the Grand Re-Opening held February 24,
Copyright for unpublished materials authored or otherwise produced by the creator(s) of
this collection has not been transferred to California State University, Northridge.
Copyright status for other materials is unknown. Transmission or reproduction of materials
protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond that allowed by fair use requires
the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be
commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility for any
use rests exclusively with the user.