Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Warm Springs Ranch, Leland Stanford Winery plaque dedication collection
SC1306  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (53.87 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Conditions Governing Access
  • Conditions Governing Use
  • Immediate Source of Acquisition
  • Preferred Citation
  • Scope and Contents
  • Biographical / Historical

  • Language of Material: English
    Contributing Institution: Department of Special Collections and University Archives
    Title: Warm Springs Ranch, Leland Stanford Winery plaque dedication collection
    source: Rogers, Dave
    Identifier/Call Number: SC1306
    Physical Description: 355.4 megabyte(s)
    Date (inclusive): 2014 Apr
    Physical Location: Special Collections and University Archives materials are stored offsite and must be paged 48 hours in advance. For more information on paging collections, see the department's website: http://library.stanford.edu/spc.

    Conditions Governing Access

    The materials are open for research use; materials must be requested at least 48 hours in advance of intended use. Audio-visual materials are not available in original format, and must be reformatted to a digital use copy.

    Conditions Governing Use

    All requests to reproduce, publish, quote from, or otherwise use collection materials must be submitted in writing to the Head of Special Collections and University Archives, Stanford University Libraries, Stanford, California 94305-6064. Consent is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission from the copyright owner. Such permission must be obtained from the copyright owner, heir(s) or assigns. See: http://library.stanford.edu/spc/using-collections/permission-publish. Restrictions also apply to digital representations of the original materials. Use of digital files is restricted to research and educational purposes.

    Immediate Source of Acquisition

    Gift of Dave Rogers, 2016.

    Preferred Citation

    Warm Springs Ranch, Leland Stanford Winery plaque dedication collection (SC1306). Dept. of Special Collections and University Archives, Stanford University Libraries, Stanford, Calif.

    Scope and Contents

    Collection consists of two videorecordings of the April 2014 plaque dedication ceremony and one photograph of the event keepsake wine labels.

    Biographical / Historical

    It was in Warm Springs near San Jose that Leland Stanford first experimented with winemaking in the early 1870s. Originally part of the former Agua Caliente Rancho, the Warm Springs Hotel became a popular resort destination beginning in the mid-1850s. By 1865 over seventy-five acres of French grapes were planted on the property. Stanford purchased the property in 1869 after it had been badly damaged in the earthquake of 1868. The following year Stanford’s brother Josiah moved to Warm Springs and they began experimenting with winemaking. By 1876 the Warm Springs property had over 60,000 fruit bearing vines and the winery was producing about 50,000 gallons of wine per year. In 1886 Leland deeded the Warm Springs property to his brother Josiah who continued to have much success operating the winery. After Josiah’s death in 1890, his son Josiah Winslow Stanford continued on with winemaking, producing approximately 250,000 gallons of wine per year between 1890 and 1900. After changing hands several times in the early twentieth century, the Warm Springs property was eventually sold to the Weibel Wine Company in 1945 who continued to produce wine on site until moving to Woodbridge in the late 1990s.

    Subjects and Indexing Terms

    Wine and wine making.
    Warm Springs Ranch (Calif.).
    Rogers, Dave