Photographs of the building and
development of Gettysburg National Military Park over the years 1893 to 1916.
John Page Nicholson (1842-1921) was a Civil War veteran and collector. From 1861 to 1865,
he served as regimental quartermaster with the 28th Pennsylvania Infantry regiment. After
the war, he returned to Philadelphia and started collecting Civil War books, manuscripts,
and photographs. He also translated and edited two volumes of Comte de Paris' History of the
Civil War in America. From 1885 to 1922, he served as recorder in chief of the Military
Order of the Loyal Legion, and was Secretary of the Board of Commissioners of Gettysburg
2.5 Linear Feet
The Huntington Library does not require that researchers request permission to quote from
or publish images of this material, nor does it charge fees for such activities. The
responsibility for identifying the copyright holder, if there is one, and obtaining
necessary permissions rests with the researcher.
Open for use by qualified researchers and by appointment. Please contact Reader Services at
the Huntington Library for more information.