Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Finding Aid for the Papers documenting the Richfield Building (Los Angeles, Calif.), 1928-1967 0000106
View entire collection guide What's This?
Search this collection
Collection Overview
Table of contents What's This?
The papers documenting the Richfield Building span 8 linear feet and date from 1928 to 1967. This collection documents the Richfield Building on the corner of 6th and Flower Street in downtown Los Angeles primarily through photographs, correspondence concerning the maintenance and construction of the structure, newspaper clippings, printed ephemera and copies of blueprints. Photographs in the collection document the construction of the building, the completed structure, decorative elements on the façade of the building, the interior, as well the ground floor window displays.
The Richfield Building was designed by Morgan, Walls and Clements. Construction which was overseen and conducted by P.J. Walker Company builders was started in 1928 and completed in 1930. Located on the corner of 6th Street and Flower in downtown Los Angeles, the building was the headquarters of the Atlantic Richfield Oil Company. The structure had fifteen floors, three basements in 152,000 square feet. The figures decorating the 13th floor level parapet as well as the four figures over the entrance were done by the American sculptor Haig Patigian. The Richfield Building was demolished in 1968. The ARCO Plaza complex now stands in its place.
8.0 Linear feet (2 record storage boxes and 1 flat file drawer (1 flat file folder)
Partially processed collection, open for use by qualified researchers.