The Phelps Dodge Corporation collection
consists of manuscript drafts, notes, research materials, and interviews compiled by Robert
Glass Cleland for his book A History of Phelps Dodge (1952), from 1861-1940.
Phelps Dodge Corporation was an American mining company founded in 1834 as an import-export
firm by Anson Greene Phelps and his two sons-in-law William Earle Dodge, Sr., and Daniel
James. Originally, Phelps, Dodge & Co. (renamed the Phelps Dodge Corporation after the
Copper Queen Consolidated Mining Company acquired its assets in 1917) provided many of the
raw materials that fueled America's early industrial expansion and helped build frontier
communities of the American West. In 1881, the Phelps Dodge Corporation invested in copper
mining in Arizona and continues to mine those claims today.
5.22 Linear Feet
The Huntington Library does not require that researchers request permission to quote from
or publish images of this material, nor does it charge fees for such activities. The
responsibility for identifying the copyright holder, if there is one, and obtaining
necessary permissions rests with the researcher.
Open to qualified researchers by prior application through the Reader Services Department.
For more information, contact Reader Services.