Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Scenic Railways, Inc. records
MS 608  
View entire collection guide What's This?
Search this collection
Collection Overview
Table of contents What's This?
This collection includes selected business records and other documentation for Scenic Railways, Inc., operator of two excursion railroads, the Tahoe, Trout Creek & Pacific Railroad, and the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad.
Scenic Railways, Inc. was incorporated in California on May 25, 1970 by Dr. Robert E. Keller, John W. Houghton, Jr. and John Allan, Jr. to operate excursion railroads. Scenic Railways participated in a joint venture to develop the Tahoe, Trout Creek & Pacific Railroad, as an alternative mode of transportation to nearby recreational areas. The line began limited operations along 1-1/4 miles of track in South Lake Tahoe on July 4, 1970. The operation was not financially successful nor were the partners able to negotiate long-term property agreements, and only operated for two full seasons (1971 and 1972). The Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad operated along the former Denver & Rio Grande's Alamosa to Durango, Colorado route, completed in 1880. It ceased passenger operations in 1951, and the line was abandoned in 1967. In 1970, after plans to scrap the line had been announced, the states of Colorado and New Mexico jointly purchased a scenic 64-mile portion of the line over Cumbres Pass between Antonito, Colorado and Chama, New Mexico and selected Scenic Railways to operate the line. On May 15, 1972, Scenic Railways entered into a twenty-year lease with the Colorado and Mexico Railroad Authority. Scenic Railways operated the Cumbres & Toltec until 1981. Dr. Robert E. Keller was the President, Director, and one of the founders of Scenic Railways. Previously Dr. Keller had been employed by Hewlett-Packard Company as a research engineer and also taught mechanical engineering at Stanford University.
1 box
Copyright has not been assigned to the California State Railroad Museum. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Capital District Collections Manager. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the CSRM as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the reader.
This collection is open for research at our off-site storage facility with one week's notice. Contact Library & Archives staff to arrange for access.