Finding aid for the 19th century California newspapers 7129
USC Libraries Special Collections
Doheny Memorial Library 206
3550 Trousdale Parkway
Los Angeles, California 90089-0189
Contributing Institution: USC Libraries Special Collections
Title: 19th century California newspapers
Identifier/Call Number: 7129
Physical Description: 2.38 Linear Feet 1 box
Date (inclusive): 1836-1898
Abstract: A collection of single issues of newspapers from across California, including from San Francisco, Sacramento, Siskiyou, and Oakland. The collection also includes a few newspapers from Boston, New York, and Newport, Rhode Island. The issue of the New York Herald in the collection from April 15, 1865 announces Abraham Lincoln's death on the day that he died.
Language of Material: English , German .
A collection of single issues of 19th century newspapers from across California, including from San Francisco, Sacramento, Siskiyou, and Oakland. The collection also includes a few newspapers published outside of California -- in Boston, New York, and Newport, Rhode Island. The issue of the New York Herald in the collection from April 15, 1865 announces Abraham Lincoln's death on the day that he died. Issues in the collection include:
- California Demokrat (San Francisco), March 21, 1871 (German)
- California Chronicle (San Francisco), May 3, 1856
- Carson Weekly, April 29, May 13, July 15, December 16, 1895; August 17, 1896; February 7, February 14, March 21, August 15, 1898
- Columbian Centinel (Boston), January 16, 1836
- Daily Post (San Francisco), May 20, 1874
- Daily Record (Sacramento), September 16, 1867
- Daily Morning Call (San Francisco), March 4, 1858 and September 12, 1875
- Daily Alta California (San Francisco), April 23, 1850
- Evening Telegram (San Francisco), February 17, 1859
- Heald's College Journal (San Francisco), May, August, November 1874
- Mirror (Oakland), April 26, May 3, 1879
- Newport Daily News (Newport, RI), August 20, 1858
- Phoenix (Sacramento), October 25, 1857; January 10, February 7, 1858
- Siskiyou Chronicle (Eureka, CA), December 30, 1858
- The Sun (San Francisco), July 2, 1853; January 30, 1854
- New York Herald, April 15, 1865
COLLECTION STORED OFF-SITE. Advance notice required for access.
All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Department of Special Collections at email@example.com. Permission for publication is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained.
Rights Statement for Archival Description
Finding aid description and metadata are licensed under an Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) license.
[Box/folder no. or item name], 19th century California newspapers, Collection no. 7129, Regional History Collection, Special Collections, USC Libraries, University of Southern California
Subjects and Indexing Terms
American newspapers -- California -- 19th century -- Archival resources
California -- Newspapers