A group of six estate-related deeds for the Benedictine abbey of St. Martin at Battle, Sussex.
The Benedictine abbey of St. Martin at Battle, Sussex; founded by William the Conqueror to commemorate his victory over Harold
at Hastings. The abbey possessed lands in Sussex, Berkshire, Essex, Surrey, and Kent. After the Dissolution, the abbey and
its immediately adjacent lands, together with the lands in Sussex and Kent, were sold to Sir Anthony Browne, Henry VIII's
Master of the Horse, whose son Anthony was created 1st Viscount Montague in 1554. In 1721 the lands were sold to Sir Thomas
Webster, a prosperous London merchant. The Battle estate remained in the family until 1976. Since then it has been the property
of the Department of the Environment.
6 deeds in one box
The Huntington Library does not require that researchers request permission to quote from or publish images of this material,
nor does it charge fees for such activities. The responsibility for identifying the copyright holder, if there is one, and
obtaining necessary permissions rests with the researcher.
Open to qualified researchers by prior application through the Reader Services Department. For more information, contact Reader