Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Masonic Union Lodge No. 58 Papers
MC 72  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (55.50 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Overview
 
Table of contents What's This?
Description
The collection contains items relating to the operation, promotion and history of Sacramento's Masonic Union Lodge 58, founded in 1854.
Background
Masonic Union Lodge 58 held its first "communication" on June 13, 1854, as one of 3 lodges – chartered by the Grand Lodge of California – operating in Sacramento. The name "Union" was chosen to acknowledge the reunion of several members who, belonging to other lodges in town that had dissolved, had reconnected under the auspices of 58. The first Master of Union Lodge was James Harvey Ralston, a Kentucky-born lawyer, veteran of the Black Hawk and Mexican wars and California State Senator. The lodge held meetings at two different locations until it, and other Sacramento lodges, formed the Masonic Hall Association, enabling, in November 1864, the purchase of a lot on the southwest corner of 6th and K streets for the construction of a new meeting space for all the city's lodges. By December 1865, a three story structure was complete. Union Lodge's last meeting at the 6th and K Street location was held in March 1920, with the group moving to a new location at 12th and J streets. By the time of its 75th anniversary in 1929, Union Lodge was made up of 500 members and up to 800 members by 1954. The Lodge – eventually renamed Union-Kit Carson Lodge No. 58 – had been absorbed by others with at the beginning of the twenty-first century and near its 150th anniversary.
Extent
.5 Linear Feet 1 Archival Box