This is a collection of manuscripts by Captain W. H. Hardy regarding his life and experiences in Arizona from 1867-1887. Some
were printed in the newspaper
Mohave County Miner between 1887 and 1889. These are typed manuscripts and copies, all of which are undated.
William Harrison Hardy, born in Allegany County, New York on April 25, 1823, was a pioneer adventurer, town builder, and businessman.
He went to California with a wagon train in 1849 and became "Captain Hardy" when elected captain of the company. Captain Hardy,
as he was known for the rest of his life, was drawn to the new frontier of the Territory of Arizona and founded the town of
Hardyville, in 1865, at the approximate site of the present day Bullhead City. He erected a cluster of adobe buildings for
a mercantile store, hotel, and saloon. He took an active, influential role in Territorial politics. He established the post
office (and invented a riveted mail sack still in use today), ferry crossing at Hardyville, and a stage line and mail route
to Prescott on a toll road.
Copyright has not been assigned to the Autry National Center. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts
must be submitted in writing to the Autry Archivist. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Autry National Center
as the custodian of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must
also be obtained by the reader.