This collection consists of newspapers and periodicals published by students of Loyola College, Loyola University, Marymount
College, and Loyola Marymount University. Some of the publications collected were short lived, while others such as the Los
Angeles Loyolan are still produced today. This collection consists of newspapers, periodicals, correspondence, and promotional
Loyola Marymount University (LMU), located in Los Angeles, California, was founded as Loyola College of Los Angeles in 1911
by members of the Society of Jesus after the closure of St. Vincent’s College, a school for boys created by Vincentian Fathers
in 1865. Loyola College grew quickly and a new campus was selected in 1917. In 1920, Loyola College began offering graduate
level education by founding a separate law school. Official establishment of a graduate division would not occur until June
1950 even though the law school continued to thrive and after a Teacher Education Program at Loyola College had been created
Continued growth of the college prompted a second move for Loyola College in 1929 to the current campus in Westchester. Incorporated
as Loyola College in 1918, the school achieved official university status in 1930.
While Loyola University was experiencing a high growth rate in the early 20th century, so was the education program offered
by the Religious of Sacred Heart of Mary for young women that had begun in 1923. In 1933, Marymount Junior College was opened
in Westwood, Los Angeles. The college continued to grow; in 1948 the Junior College became a four-year university and granted
its first baccalaureate degrees in 1948. In 1960, Marymount College moved to a campus on the Palos Verdes Peninsula to accommodate
its growing student body.
In 1968, Marymount College moved one last time to share the Loyola University campus. Although the two schools shared a physical
space, Marymount College and Loyola University were still two separate schools and remain so for five years. Loyola Marymount
University was officially named in 1973 after Loyola University and Marymount College merged.
Student-run newspapers and periodicals have been a longstanding tradition in LMU’s history, beginning in 1920 with The Cinder
in the Eye, the official newspaper of Loyola College. In 1923 the newspaper’s name changed to The Loyolan, and later to The
Los Angeles Loyolan, which is currently published weekly in print and updated daily online. Newspapers and periodicals continue
to be a great way for students to not only share news, but to showcase their ideas, opinions, and writing skills with the
81 linear feet (6 boxes, 42 oversize boxes, 15 oversize books)
Materials in the Department of Archives and Special Collections may be subject to copyright. Unless explicitly stated otherwise,
Loyola Marymount University does not claim ownership of the copyright of any materials in its collections. The user or publisher
must secure permission to publish from the copyright owner. Loyola Marymount University does not assume any responsibility
for infringement of copyright or of publication rights held by the original author or artists or his/her heirs, assigns, or
University. Early issues of the Los Angeles Loyolan are labeled as restricted to researchers due to fragility and preservation
concerns. The Loyolan is also available to researchers on microfilm in the William H. Hannon Library. Submit requests through
the library’s catalog, http://linus.lmu.edu/ .