The Catholic Ladies Relief Society (CLRS) Chapter #1 was incorporated on April 24, 1888, two years after Reverend Patrick
Monogue was appointed the first Bishop of the Diocese of Sacramento by Pope Leo XIII. CLRS was formed to provide assistance
to the poor, orphans, and other needy people within the Diocese of Sacramento. The collection documents CLRS #1 (Sacramento)
from its inception in 1888 to 2015, with most materials dating from circa 1960 to 2010. The organization is still currently
active. The collection consists primarily of administrative records such as financial reports, meeting minutes, correspondence,
membership records, annual convention programs and materials along with position papers, newsletters and newspaper clippings,
photographs, negatives, photograph albums, and scrapbooks that document the history of this organization.
The Catholic Ladies Relief Society Chapter #1 (CLRS #1) was incorporated on April 24, 1888, two years after Reverend Patrick
Monogue was appointed the first Bishop of the Diocese of Sacramento by Pope Leo XIII. Prior to forming its own diocese, Sacramento
was part of the San Francisco diocese, where a group of women were actively engaged in charitable works through the San Francisco
church. Nine of these women applied for incorporation to start the Catholic Ladies Relief Society in order to provide assistance
to the poor, orphans, and other needy people within the Diocese of Sacramento regardless of their ethnicity or church affiliation.
CLRS #1 has been involved in a number of charitable activities since the group's inception, including the establishment of
the Catholic Welfare Bureau, now known as Catholic Social Services; giving Christmas baskets of food each year, which began
in 1900 and is still carried on today; the formation of the Sacramento Women's Council (1904-2004), which helped make the
city a beautiful and safe community with lighted streets, trees, and other civic works; opening and operating the Day Nursery
Home (1918), a day care for the children of cannery workers, the first of its kind; helping with the "Americanization" program
sponsored by the Sisters of Mary to assist immigrant children and their families; assisting with the Stanford Lathrop Home;
and sewing clothing for the children who lived at St. Patrick's Home after it opened in 1932.
CLRS volunteers have also provided financial donations to the Sacramento Food Bank, Loaves and Fishes, Maryhouse, Mustard
Seed School, and Bishop Gallegos Maternity Home, as well as material supplies such as sewing layettes and Christmas baskets.
Previously funded by dues and donations, CLRS became part of the Community Chest from 1923-1970, now known as the United Way,
which provided financial support. Although no longer receiving this support, the work of CLRS continues through membership
dues, fundraisers, and donations.
16.4 linear feet
15 boxes: 11 record cartons, 1 flat oversize box (16"W), 1 shoe box, 1 small flat box (8.75 W"), 1 small flat box (11" W)