The John Schubert Russian River Collection contains photographs, maps, postcards, scrapbooks, business records, family histories,
and ephemera relating to the history and development of Sonoma County's Russian River area resorts, social and civic organizations,
festivals, cemeteries, railroads, bridges, schools, mining and logging operations as well as documents associated with Fort
Ross. The materials were collected over a 60-year period beginning around 1960. Some items were given to Mr. Schubert, while
others were purchased at garage and estate sales, from eBay, and elsewhere.
John Schubert was born in San Francisco on August 9, 1938, to Hilmar B. Schubert and Ellen Victoria McFarland Schubert. While
researching and documenting the history of the Russian River area, Schubert worked as a Sonoma County deputy sheriff, primarily
as a bailiff in the courts, for 39 years, and is a former Marine. He received a B.A. degree in anthropology from Sonoma State
College (1973) and has been known as a Russian River historian since 1960, writing for several Guerneville newspapers with
his column “Stumptown Stories” and as a frequent contributor to the Sonoma County Historical Society’s quarterly journal.
Schubert is also a founding member of the Russian River Historical Society. His first book, Guerneville Early Days: A History
of the Lower Russian River, was published in 1997, followed by a second (2005) and third (2016) edition. Schubert’s other
titles include Russian River, California – Then and Now (2011), The Red Slide Magnesite Mines and Railroad (2012), Tales of
the Russian River: Stumptown Stories (2013), and Hidden History of Sonoma County (2017). In 2021, having been nominated by
the Russian River Chamber of Commerce, John Schubert received a Spirit of Sonoma Award from the Sonoma County Economic Development
Board for his volunteerism and advocacy on behalf of local businesses.
The library can only claim physical ownership of the collection. Users are responsible for satisfying any claimants of literary
Collection is open for research by appointment.