A small but important collection of correspondence, records, miscellaneous papers, and photographs that documents the Scripps
family's role as a foundational supporter of the Scripps Institution of Oceanography, originally known as the Marine Biological
Association of San Diego.
In 1903, UC Berkeley biologist William E. Ritter and San Diego physician Fred Baker, with the financial support of philanthropists
E. W. Scripps and Ellen Browning Scripps, founded the Marine Biological Association of San Diego. The purpose of the Association
was to advance the study of marine sciences. Ritter was appointed as its first director and supervised the activities of temporary
research stations in San Diego Bay. In 1905, the Association leased property above La Jolla Cove and established a marine
laboratory. Ellen Browning Scripps added a codicil to her will in 1909 bequeathing a gift to the Regents of the University
of California for a permanent marine biological station, and construction of the first building on the current campus, the
George H. Scripps Memorial Marine Biological Laboratory, was completed in 1910. In July of 1912, the Association deeded its
property to the Regents and became the Scripps Institution for Biological Research, formally becoming part of the UC System.
In 1925, it was renamed the Scripps Institution of Oceanography.
1.6 Linear feet
(4 archives boxes)
Publication rights are held by the creator of the collection.
COLLECTION STORED OFF-SITE. ALLOW ONE WEEK FOR RETRIEVAL OF MATERIALS.