Mary Hunter Austin Collection: Finding Aid
- The publishing of her books and articles (see letters from Houghton Mifflin Co.; The Forum; Bobbs-Merrill; and Anne (Whiton) Watkins among others)
- Indians of North America (see letters from Bronson Murray Cutting; Frederick Webb Hodge; U.S. Dept. of the Interior; Sotero Ortiz; Ray Lyman Wilbur; and, Eufracio Trujillo, et al.)
- Spanish Folklore (see letters from Arthur Leon Campa and numerous literary manuscripts)
- Religion and mysticism (see letters by Austin to Mr. Schroeder)
- The Colorado River and Owens Valley water controversies (see letters from George Wylie Paul Hunt; Julian Eibeshutz; Francis Cushman Wilson; and, Elsie Watterson)
- Adamic, Louis (1899-1951) Austrian novelist. 21 pieces. AU 807-827.
- Adams, Andy (1859-1935) Cowboy, miner, and author. 22 pieces. AU 828-849.
- Adams, Ansel Easton (1902-1984) Photographer. 57 pieces. AU 850-901. FAC 1110-1114.
- Applegate, Frank guy (1882-1932) Artist, educator, and author. 26 pieces. AU 993-1018.
- Bender, Albert Maurice (1866-1941) Philanthropist and patron of the arts. 82 pieces. AU 1388-1469.
- Bobbs-Merrill Company Publishers. 74 pieces. AU 1503-1576.
- Brooks, Van Wyck (1886-1963) Critic and essayist. 20 pieces. AU 1666-1685.
- Bynner, Witter (1881-1968) Playwright and poet. 21 pieces. AU 1753-1773.
- Campa, Arthur Leon (1905-1980?) Educator and author. 57 pieces. AU 1779- 1835.
- Canby, Henry Seidel (1878-1962) Author and editor. 30 pieces. AU 1841-1870.
- Canby, Marion Ponsonby Gause (fl. 1930s) Wife of Henry Seidel Canby. 27 pieces. AU 1871-1897.
- The Century Company. 40 pieces. AU 1944-1983.
- Cutting, Bronson Murray (1888-1935) Senator from New Mexico. 31 pieces. AU 2079-2109.
- Densmore, Frances (1867-1957) Author and editor. 22 pieces. AU 2173-2194.
- Farrar, John Chipman (1896-1974) Editor, publisher, and author. 22 pieces. AU 2324-2345.
- The Forum. 61 pieces. AU 2416-2476.
- Grierson, Francis (1848-1927) Author and musician. 27 pieces. AU 2560-2586.
- Hodge, Frederick Webb (1864-1956) Ethnologist and author. Director of the Southwest Museum, Los Angeles. 33 pieces. AU 2764-2796.
- Holt, Henry (1840-1926) Publisher and author. 41 pieces. AU 2824-2864.
- Hoover, Herbert Clark (1874-1964) and Lou (Henry) Hoover (1874-1944) 31st President of the United States and his wife. 31 pieces. AU 2882-2912.
- Houghton Mifflin Company. 235 pieces. AU 2919-2920, 2922-3154.
- Kellogg, Paul Underwood (1879-1958) Editor of Survey. 40 pieces. AU 3322-3361.
- Luhan, Mabel (Ganson) Dodge (1879-1962) Author and patron of the arts. 46 pieces. AU 3571-3616.
- MacDougal, Daniel Trembly (1865-1958) Scientist and author. 131 pieces. AU 3649-3656, 3658-3689, 3691-3781.
- McWilliams, Carey (1905-1980) Editor and author. 57 pieces. AU 3831-3887.
- Mencken, Henry Louis (1880-1956) Editor, essayist, and critic. 20 pieces. AU 3946-3965.
- The Nation. 36 pieces. AU 4057-4092.
- National Folk Review. 28 pieces. AU 4102.4129.
- The New Republic. 35 pieces. AU 4143-4177.
- Park, Robert Ezra (1864-1944) Sociologist. 20 pieces. AU 4274-4293.
- Simpson, William Haskell (1858- ) Employee of the Advertising Dept. of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway System. 20 pieces. AU 4615-4634.
- Southwest Review. 57 pieces. AU 4670-4726.
- Toor, Frances (1890-1956) Editor of Mexican Folkways magazine. 22 pieces. AU 4867-4888.
- Tracy, Henry Chester (1876-1958) Author. 24 pieces. AU 4894-4917.
- Van Doren, Mark Albert (1894-1972) Editor and author. 21 pieces. AU 5042-5062.
- Walker, Ryan (1870-1932) Cartoonist. 39 pieces. AU 5103-5141.
- Wolf, Mary (Hunter) Sullivan (1904- ) Niece of Mary (Hunter) Austin. 47 pieces. AU 5295-5341.
- World Celebrities (booking agency). 28 pieces. AU 5365-5374, 5376-5393.
- Yale University Press. 27 pieces. AU 5405-5426, FAC 1164-1169.
- Atherton, Gertrude Franklin (Horn) AU 1048-1053
- Benet, William Rose AU 1470-1472
- Cather, Willa Sibert AU 1930-1943
- Coolbrith, Ina AU 2047-2048
- Frost, Robert AU 2487
- Garland, Hamlin AU 2501-2502
- Hurst, Fannie AU 3206-3213
- Jeffers, Robinson AU 3261-3265
- La Farge, Oliver Hazard Perry AU 3439-3441
- Levien, Sonya AU 3471-3473
- Lewis, Sinclair AU 3475-3484
- Lippman, Walter AU 3511-3513
- London, Charmian (Kittredge) AU 3532-3545
- London, Jack AU 3546-3548
- Lowell, Amy AU 3560-3563
- Pound, Ezra AU 4372
- Rivera, Diego AU 4450
- Roosevelt, Theodore AU 4468
- Seton, Ernest Thompson AU 4558-4577
- Sinclair, Upton AU 4635-4638
- Sterling, George AU 4758-4762
- Untermeyer, Louis AU 5003-5010
- Van Doren, Carl AU 5013-5030
- Letters of Mary Austin, 1924-1932 (mssHM 79044-79050)
- Letters of Mary Austin, 1913-[1920?], and undated (mssHM 41071-41079)
- Letters to Dorothea Lummis Moore, 1930; 1932 (mssHM 45149-45151)
- Letter to Max Farrand, 1933, November 7 (mssHM 79069)
- Mary Austin manuscripts and letters to Louis Untermeyer, 1930 (mssHM 41060-41066)
- A collection of magazine and newspaper articles by and about Mary Austin (285687)
- 1. Manuscripts by Mary Hunter Austin (Boxes 1-41)
- 2. Manuscripts by other authors (Boxes 42-44)
- 3. Oversize Manuscripts (Boxes 45-52)
- 4. Correspondence (Boxes 53-121)
- 5. Oversize Correspondence (Box 52 [4 folders])
- 6. Ephemera (Boxes 122-136)
- 7. Oversize Ephemera and Art (12 folders)
- 8. Photographs (photCL 296 Boxes 1-12)
Series 1. Manuscripts by Mary Hunter Austin
Ab-Am (AU 1-14)
An-Au (AU 15-34)
Ba-Bz (AU 36-42; AU 44-51)
Cac-Cam (AU 52-58)
Can-Cho (AU 59-69)
Chr-Colo (AU 70-79)
Com-Cos (AU 80-90)
Coy-Cr (AU 91-99)
D-Dec (AU 100-108)
Deer-Dr (AU 109-124)
Ea-Ev (AU 125-146)
Ex-Fire (AU 147-162)
Fire Drill-Ford (AU 163-174)
Forest-Gar (AU 175-199)
Ge-Go (AU 200-215)
Gr-Indians (AU 216-248)
Indita-Journal: Ex (Au 249-267)
Journal: I-Juego (AU 268-271)
K-La Vuelta (AU 272-287)
Lad-Li (AU 288-309)
Lo-Love and (AU 310-322)
Love Coming-Lovely (AU 323-330)
M-Mem (AU 331-350)
Meth-Mis (AU 351-363)
Mo-No (AU 364-377)
Notebook: F-Notebook: R (AU 378-382)
Notebook containing miscellany-Notes on American Indians (folder 2) (AU 383-389)
Notes on American Indians (folder 3)-Novels (AU 390-415)
Of-One (AU 416-429)
Or-Pl (AU 430-447)
Po-Rel (AU 448-484)
Rep-Se (AU 485-522)
Sh-So (AU 523-540)
Soc-Sy (AU 541-579)
Ta-The (AU 580-593)
To-Trail (AU 594-599)
Transcriptions of poems (folders 1-3) (AU 600-602)
Transcriptions of poems (folder 4)-Two (AU 603-613)
U-What (AU 614-628)
When-Wi (AU 629-646)
Woman-Y (AU 647-656)
Series 2. Manuscripts by other authors
B-Mahon (AU 657-688; AU 690-693a)
Mayo-Suarez (AU 35; AU 43; AU 649-700; FAC 1109; AU 701-720)
Manuscripts by other authors: Tenorio-White, and anonymous (AU 721-739)
Series 3. Oversize Manuscripts
Oversize manuscripts by Mary Hunter Austin: A-E (AU 740-745)
"American Experience Must County in Disarmament" [typewritten article, 1921] (AU 740)
Auto Pastoral Estrella [story draft] (AU 741)
Coloquio de Pastores [play] (AU 742)
El Niño Perdido [play, translated copy] (AU 743)
"Experience Facing Death" [article draft] (AU 744)
Experience Facing Death [novel draft] (AU 745)
Oversize manuscripts by Mary Hunter Austin: The Ford [novel draft] (AU 746-747)
Oversize manuscripts by Mary Hunter Austin: G-L (AU 748-751)
The Land of Journeys' Ending [novel draft] (AU 748)
Le Aparicion De Nuestra Señora De Guadalupe [play] (AU 749)
Las Comanches [play, translated draft] (AU 750)
Lost Border [collected short stories drafts] (AU 751)
Oversize manuscripts by Mary Hunter Austin: M-P (AU 752-757)
The Man Jesus [non-fiction draft] (AU 752)
"A New Medium for Poetic Drama" [article] (AU 753)
[Notes on Indian Lore] (AU 754-755)
"A Personal View of Crime" [article] (AU 756)
Oversize manuscripts by Mary Hunter Austin: Sa-Sm (AU 758-762)
Santa Lucia [novel draft] (AU 758-759)
Shape of Society [novel draft] (AU 760-762)
Oversize manuscripts by Mary Hunter Austin: Sk-Z - Oversize manuscripts by other authors (AU 763-772)
[Sketchbook of wildflowers in watercolor, 1901] (AU 763)
A Small Town Man [novel draft] (AU 764)
The Sweetheart of Dona Inez [play] (AU 765)
[Transcriptions of Spanish folk songs] (AU 766)
The Young Woman Citizen [novel, early draft] (AU 767)
Grierson, Francis. [A.Ms. article on Mary (Hunter) Austin, 1908] (AU 768)
Padilla, Camilo, translator. Los Pastores [typewritten play with Mary (Hunter) Austin's autograph notation] (AU 769)
Sterling, George. "The Rack" [poem] (AU 770)
Wright, Lillian (Freeman). America's National Folk Festival [typewritten article, 1934] (AU 771)
Anonymous. [A. Ms. Music and verses of Indian songs] (AU 772)
Extra Horizon. Austin's 1932 autobiography (AU 773-792)
[Everyman's Genius] [novel draft, untitled] (AU 793)
The Friend in the Wood [story draft] (AU 794)
Isidro [novel draft] (AU 795)
No. Twenty-Six Jayne Street [novel draft] (AU 796)
[Incomplete of draft of novella Cactus Thorn] (AU 797)
Starry Adventure [novel drafts] (AU 798-801)
Series 4. Correspondence
Abbott-Adams, Ansel (September 1930) (AU 805-874; FAC 1110-1114)
Adams, Ansel Easton (October 1930)-Akeley (AU 875-926)
Alber-Antin (AU 927-985)
Antiques-Austin, Ephraim (AU 986-1068)
Austin, Mary (Hunter) to recipients A-C (AU 1069-1086; FAC 1115-1162)
Austin, Mary (Hunter) to recipients D-McCr (AU 1087-1142)
Austin, Mary (Hunter) to recipients MacD-R (AU 1143-1215)
Austin, Mary (Hunter) to recipients S-Y (AU 1216-1294; AU 5456)
Austin, Stafford-Baylies (AU 1295-1370)
Beath-Bender, Albert (1930) (AU 1371-1442)
Bender, Albert Maurice (1931)-Blumenschein (AU 1443-1502)
Bobbs-Merrill Company (AU 1503-1576)
Bolitho-Bratton (AU 1577-1657)
Breck-Bumpus (AU 1658-1720)
Burden-Bynner (AU 1721-1773)
Calhoun-Campbell (AU 1774-1840)
Canby-Carhart (AU 1841-1914)
Carman-Century (AU 1915-1983)
Chalfant-Cowley (AU 1984-2052)
Creel-Cutting (AU 2053-2109)
D-Dempsey (AU 2110-2171)
Den-Dix (AU 2172-2231)
Do-En (AU 2232-2303)
Er-Fe (AU 2304-2376)
Ficke-The Forum (1928) (AU 2377-2453)
The Forum (1929)-Gavit (AU 2454-2522)
Geden-Grierson (AU 2523-2586)
Griffith-Harper & Brothers (1924) (AU 2587-2656)
Harper & Brothers (1925)-Haywood (AU 2657-2722)
Heard-Hodge, Frederick Webb (AU 2723-2796)
Hodge, Zahrah (Preble)-Holt (AU 2797-2865)
Hooker-Hoover (AU 2866-2912)
Hooper-Houghton Mifflin Co. (1928) (AU 2913-2988)
Houghton Mifflin Co. (1929-1931) (AU 2989-3065)
Houghton Mifflin Co. (1932) (AU 3066-3118)
Houghton Mifflin Co. (1933)-Hunt (AU 3119-3182)
Hunter-Ives (AU 3183-3252; FAC 1163)
Jackson-Joyce (AU 3253-3309)
Kahn-Kellogg (AU 3310-3376)
Kennedy-Lafler (AU 3377-3444)
LaFlesche-Literary (AU 3445-3514; FAC 1164)
Littell-Ludlum (AU 3515-3570)
Luhan-Lummis (AU 3571-3621)
McCalls-MacDougal, Daniel Trembly (1921) (AU 3622-3679)
MacDougal, Douglas Trembly (1922-April 1923) (AU 3680-3749)
MacDougal, Douglas Trembly (May 1923)-MacKaye (AU 3750-3816)
MacLeod-McWilliams (AU 3817-3887)
Macy-Mencken (AU 3888-3965)
Mentor-Moore (AU 3966-4030)
Moran-National Feature (AU 4031-4101)
National Folk-New Republic (1924) (AU 4102-4157)
New Republic (1925)-O'Neill (AU 4158-4228)
Open-Peabody (AU 4229-4304)
Pearce-Pound (AU 4305-4372)
Powell-Rinehart (AU 4373-4437)
Rittenhouse-Saturday (AU 4438-4509)
Saunders-Seton (AU 4510-4577)
Shafer-Sinclair (AU 4578-4638)
Skinner-Southwest Review (1931) (AU 4639-4709)
Southwest Review (1932)-Sterling (AU 4710-4762)
Stern-Thoburn (AU 4763-4849)
Thomas-Turnbull (AU 4850-4927)
Turner-Unpartisan (AU 4928-5002)
Untermeyer-Viking (AU 5003-5077)
Villard-Waterman (AU 5078-5158)
Watkins-White (AU 5159-5239)
Wiggin-Wolf, Mary (Hunter) Sullivan (1923) (AU 5240-5320)
Wolf, Mary (Hunter) Sullivan (1925)-Wrigly (AU 5321-5399)
Yale-Zuker, and anonymous (AU 5400-5450)
Series 5. Oversize Correspondence
Garland, Marie T. To Mary (Hunter) Austin. (1930, February 17) (AU 802)
Cocopa Indians. To the Secretary of the Department of Interior. (1923 May 21) (AU 803)
Wilson, Francis Cushman. To the Secretary of the United States Department of the Interior. (1930 January 8) (AU 804)
Cary, Maude Lyon. To Mary (Hunter) Austin. (1928 January 13) (AU 5451)
Series 6. Ephemera
Personal and family material
Marriage announcement; Suit for divorce; Property settlement.
Will; Bequest of brain
Family related material and documents
Educational material (diplomas, etc.)
Tax and income information; Royalty statements
Inventory of Austin’s house and library; Building permits
Bibliography and book lists
Collection acquisition and use
Pressed flowers from Joseph Conrad’s garden and Thomas Hardy’s birthplace
Printed invitations and announcements
Excerpts from printed books
Archaeological Institute of America – membership
Lists of names and addresses by state
Lists of Governors of Pueblos
Bible, interleaved with Austin’s annotations
Play programs, folder 1
Play programs, folder 2
Newspaper clipping, A - L
Children Sing In The Far West; Everyman’s Genius
Colorado River controversy
Land of Journey’s Ending
Lands of the Sun; Experiences Facing Death
Newspaper clippings, M - P
Miscellaneous, folder 1
Miscellaneous, folder 2
Owens Valley, California
Poetry and drama
Newspaper clippings, S - W
Science and nature
Small Town Man
Spanish-American colonial arts
Western U.S. and Mexico
Articles, A - Le
American Indians, folder 1
American Indians, folder 2
American Rhythm; Children Sing In The Far West; Small Town Man
Art, music, and theatre
Earth Horizon; Land of Journeys’ Ending; and, Lands of the Sun
Lectures and interviews
Articles, Li - Misc., folder 1
Literature and authors, folder 1
Literature and authors, folder 2
Marriage, birth control and women
Miscellaneous, folder 1
Articles, Misc., folder 2 - Re
Miscellaneous, folder 2
Religion, mysticism and psychology
Articles, S - W
Science, nature and philosophy, folder 1
Science, nature and philosophy, folder 2
Spanish Colonial arts
Western United States, folder 1
Western United States, folder 2
Card file: List of books in library of May Austin, A - S
Card file: List of books in library of Mary Austin, T – Z; Union Theological Seminary, Bibliography of Christ
Card file: Names and addresses
Silhouettes of Mary Austin, by Baron Scotford, 1915.
Printed items: The Arrow Maker, program from play presented by Alpha Epsilon Pi, 1912, May 27.
Printed items: Birth Control . . . , by Adolphus Knopf, 1919.
Printed items: British Society for the Study of Sex Psychology: Sixth Annual Report, 1920, July.
Printed items: Congressional Record and Hearings.
Printed items: The Daily Silver Belt, Miami, Ariz., 1927, June 30.
Printed items: Estudia, 1929-1930
Printed items: Finger Lakes Topics, 1948, July 19-20.
Printed items: Fire, by Mary Austin, program for production at Palm Springs, 1929, Nov. 9-11.
Printed items: Impending Problems of Eugenics, by Irving Fisher, 1921, Sep.
Printed items: Impressionism – Some Speculations, by Ford Madox Ford.
Printed items: Indian Poetry, by Mary Austin.
Printed items: Is the Rating of Human Character Practicable?, by Harold Rugg, 1921-1922, Nov.-Feb.
Printed items: Laurel Club Cook Book
Printed items: Love in the Machine Age, by Floyd Dell: flyer for book, 1931.
Printed items: Manford’s Monthly Magazine, 1866, May.
Printed items: Mexican Song Sheets.
Printed items: New Mexican Colonial Arts.
Printed items: Sexual Variety and Variability Among Women.
Printed items: To W.E. Burghardt DuBois, 1924, Apr. 13.
Printed items: The Woman’s Club of Fortworth, TX, 1927-1928.
Printed items: Miscellaneous.
Scrapbooks: 3 volumes of newspaper clippings about Mary Hunter Austin.
Series 7. Oversize Ephemera and Art
Cantadas Mejicanas: [Mexican songs], [1882- 1934]. (AU 5452 )
Broadside Playbill for the Koshare Production of “Billy Bonney, the Kid,” July 20, 1932. (AU 5453 )
Broadside advertisement for Mary (Hunter) Austin’s Earth Horizon, 1932. (AU 5454)
Broadside of review of Mary (Hunter) Austin’s Earth Horizon, reprinted from the New York Herald, Nov. 6, 1932. (AU 5455)
Realia: lock of Ruth Austin’s hair, lock of Mary (Hunter) Austin’s hair, wedding handkerchief, funerary souvenir for Mrs. S. S. Hunter, July 16, 1896. (AU 5456)
Miscellaneous drawings, 10 pieces. (AU 5458)
Woodblock Illustrations, and sampler, 7 pieces. (AU 5459)
Publicity poster for “The Arrow Maker,” 2 pieces. (AU 5460)
Poster for “A Masque of Land and People,” 1 piece. (AU 5461)
Miscellaneous drawings, 9 pieces. (AU 5462)
Dixon, Maynard. “The Earth Knower.” Signed color engravings. (AU 5463)
Series 8. Photographs
Digitized scans of catalog cards for the photographs in the Mary Hunter Austin Collection
Photographs: Folder 1
Various members of the Graham and Dugger families, Austin’s relatives in Carlinville, Illinois. Includes records of family births, deaths, marriages and wills, 1880s. Ruth Austin, daughter of Mary Austin, appears in images 38-40.
Photographs: Folder 2
Residents of Carlinville, Ill., 1880s.
Carlinville, Ill. Views of town, buildings and family homes of Graham and Dugger families, Austin’s relatives, 1880s.
Photographs: Folder 3
Mary Austin with family and friends, some in her various homes—Carlinville, Ill.; Independence, Ca.; New York; and Santa Fe, New Mexico, 1869-1923. Portraits include George Sterling, Jack London, Stafford Wallace Austin (Mary’s husband), and James Hopper.
Mary Austin with Dr. Daniel T. MacDougal.
Mary Austin in Arizona and New Mexico, ca. 1923-1933. Includes photographs of Austin’s house in Santa Fe, “Casa Querida” and of Diego Rivera.
Photographs: Folder 4
Friends and acquaintances of Mary Austin in California, New Mexico and London, England, ca. 1900-1920. Includes photographs of Herbert Hoover, Charles F. Lummis, George Wharton James, George Bernard Shaw, Susan B. Anthony, and Joseph Conrad.
Photographs: Folder 5
Views of California, including Lone Pine, Owens Valley, Sierra Nevada Range, Monterey, Carmel, Mojave Desert, Death Valley, Salton Sea area, Baja California, and the Colorado Delta. Includes views of geothermal mud pots in Baja.
Photographs: Folders 6-8
Color plates of paintings by Sutton Palmer for “California, the Land of the Sun.” (London: A & C Black, 1914; 6 x 9 in.) Note: See also RB 285870.
Theaters and rehearsals. Sixty photographs depicting various performances, actors, and theaters, ca. early 1900s. Includes photographs of George Sterling and Mary Austin as actors; productions of Austin’s “Fire” and “The Arrow Maker;” and Anna Pavlova.
Southwest Indians. Views of various Southwestern tribe members and villages, ca. early 1900s. Includes Navajo, Paiute, Papago, Arapaho, Cocopah, and Pueblo Indians.
Photographs: Folder 9
Indian art and artifacts from a variety of pueblos. Includes pottery, baskets, paintings and rugs of Navajo, Zuni, and Hopi tribes.
Photographs: Folder 10
New Mexico views. Scenery, towns, dwellings, people and villages of New Mexico. Includes views of Penitente processions; towns of Chimayo, Santa Fe, and Taos.
Alaska. Views of moose.
Photographs: Folders 11-12
Arizona views. Scenery, towns, missions, state monuments. Includes Grand Canyon; Missions San Xavier del Bac and San Jose de Tumacacori; the Apache Trail; Tucson; and Casa Grande ruins.
Desert botany. Views of various botanical desert specimens in their natural environs. Southwest: Arizona, California, Mexico, ca. 1920s.
Photographs: Folders 13-14
Travel photographs from around the world, including Florida, England, Ireland, Italy, Egypt, Cambodia, and the Holy Land.
Miscellaneous. Views include ceremonial masks from Guatemala and photographs of European and Western U.S. paintings and artwork.
Photographs: Folder 15
Oversized portraits and miscellaneous subjects. Includes portraits of Mary Austin; Austin and a Pueblo Indian Delegation in Washington D.C., 1923; Mission San Gabriel Arcángel; the San Gabriel Mission Playhouse; movie sets for “The Arrow Maker,” and other subjects.
Photographs: Folder 16
Theater. Lantern slides of various theatrical productions, early 1900s.