The collection documents the City of Sacramento Assessor’s Office assessment and recording of property valuations within the
city, including real property, personal property, corporate property, street improvements, and levees. Also includes delinquent
tax rolls and tax sale records. Records date from circa 1850 to 1975.
The Assessor's Office of the City of Sacramento was established in 1850 by the city charter to record the value of taxable
property within the city. The governments of the City of Sacramento and Sacramento County were consolidated from 1858-1863,
during which time the city Assessor's Office became the ex-officio Tax Collector. Once the city and county separated in 1863,
the Assessor once again became a separate city office until 1894, when it was moved along with four other offices under the
Department of Finance. In 1921, the Assessor’s Office was combined with the Collector under the City Controller within the
Department of Finance until 1964, when the Assessor-Collector was incorporated into the office of the County Assessor.
All requests to publish or quote from private manuscripts held by the Center for Sacramento History (CSH) must be submitted
in writing to email@example.com. Permission for publication is given on behalf of CSH as the owner of the physical
items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the patron.
No permission is necessary to publish or quote from public records.
Collection is open for research.