The paraphernalia of this collection comes from Stan Hodges, Art Director at Convair in the mid-1950s and 1960s. He designed
many of the posters that were placed in the plant, as well as the General Dynamics sign.
The Convair division of General Dynamics Corporation initially was tasked with the development of the Atlas intercontinental
ballistic missile, which later became the vehicle to transport vehicles and men into space.
In 1955 and 1956, measures were taken create a separate division of Convair in order to work on the Atlas Model 7 Project.
The new division was known as Astronautics. General Dynamics directors voted to acquire land and to build an Astronautics
plant in San Diego. A similar amount was provided by the Air Force for equipment. Another milestone in 1956 was the beginning
of construction of the Atlas plant in Kearny Mesa, San Diego. The following year, Astronautics formally became an operating
division of Convair. An Atlas component test facility was constructed at Point Loma, San Diego. Other missile test facilities
were established at Edwards Rocket Site north of Los Angeles and at Sycamore Canyon near San Diego.
In June 1961, the official name of Convair-Astronautics changed to General Dynamics Astronautics.
.5 Cubic Feet
This is a two box collection with measurements 12 ¼ x 10 ½ x 5 inches and 12 ¼ x 10 ½ x 2 ½ inches. The contains mainly corporate
documents – mostly publications and periodicals, booklets, a calendar, a sign catalog, reports, photographs, posters, and
Some copyright may be reserved. Consult with the library director for more information.
The collection is open to researchers by appointment.