City Store Records

Finding aid created by History San Jose Research Library staff using RecordEXPRESS
History San Jose Research Library
1661 Senter Road
San Jose, California 95112
(408) 287-2290
research@historysanjose.org
http://www.historysanjose.org/
2018


Descriptive Summary

Title: City Store Records
Dates: 1873-1950
Collection Number: 74-5235
Creator/Collector:
Extent: 4 linear feet (9 boxes)
Repository: History San Jose Research Library
San Jose, California 95112
Abstract: Financial records of the City Store and the Turel family, including ledgers, stock certificates, inventories, IRS records, family finances, early agreements, bylaws and minutes. The City Store operated in downtown San Jose from the 1850s until it was closed in 1931, one of the oldest establishments in continuous operation at the time in the state of California.
Language of Material: English

Access

The records are available to the public for research by appointment with the Curator of Library & Archives.

Publication Rights

Contact the Curator of Library & Archives for information on reproduction and publication.

Preferred Citation

City Store Records. History San Jose Research Library

Acquisition Information

Portions of the collection were donated by Alice Turel to the San Jose Historical Museum in the 1960s; the rest of the records were donated before 1998 to the museum by an unknown donor.

Biography/Administrative History

The City Store originally begun as Lemoine, Gambert & Co., which later passed into the control of the Turel family and became the City Store. J. Lemoine and G. Froment erected the building in 1854 at the southeast corner of Market Street and Post Street. In 1860, Lemoine’s nephew Jean Turel, an immigrant from France, accepted a position as clerk in his uncle’s store. Between that time and 1893, Turel bought out other interests, and the store was incorporated with Turel as president in 1893. When Jean Turel died in 1903 the store passed into the hands of his four children, August M., Edmond F., George L., and Alice M. August had left the University of Santa Clara in 1891 to enter business with his father, and was president of the City Store at the time of his death in 1928. Edmund became general manager of the store in 1895, and remained in charge of the business until his death in 1930. After Edmund’s death in 1930, George and Alice announced plans in early 1931 for discontinuing the business. At that time, it was generally recognized as the oldest establishment in continuous operation in the state of California. In 1934 George and Alice, with attorney Victor Chargin, petitioned the superior court for an order declaring the corporation dissolved. In July 1933, the historic building was razed, following the signing of long-term leases by J. A. Weidlein of San Jose and Oakland, acting on behalf of a newly formed corporation, the San Jose Commercial company. George and Alice also owned the Tait Building and site bounded by Geary and O’Farrell Streets in San Francisco that was acquired by Macy’s in 1945. George passed away in 1954, with Alice following in 1966.

Scope and Content of Collection

Financial records of the City Store and the Turel family, including ledgers, stock certificates, inventories, IRS records, family finances, early agreements, bylaws and minutes. The business records of the store extend to 1929; the Turel family records extend past this to the 1940s. See attached inventory for full contents.