Philothean Fellowship Collection

Finding aid created by Fuller Theological Seminary-David Allan Hubbard Library Archives staff using RecordEXPRESS
Fuller Theological Seminary-David Allan Hubbard Library Archives
135 North Oakland Ave.
Pasadena, California 91182
(626) 584-5311
archives@fuller.edu
https://library.fuller.edu/
2020


Descriptive Summary

Title: Philothean Fellowship Collection
Dates: 1947-1961
Collection Number: CFT00137
Creator/Collector: Fuller, Grace Payton Fuller Theological Seminary Philothean Fellowship
Extent: 4 Boxes, 3.46 linear feet
Repository: Fuller Theological Seminary-David Allan Hubbard Library Archives
Pasadena, California 91182
Abstract: The Philothean Fellowship Collection, 1947-1961 consists of access and original copies of scrapbooks and notebooks kept by members of the Fuller Theological Seminary student wives’ group, the Philothean Fellowship. The scrapbooks include photographs, postcard invitations to Seminary social events and lectures, Fuller Seminary convocation and commencement brochures, and the newsletter The Broadcaster. The Philothean Fellowship was an organization initiated by Grace Payton Fuller and Mary Jane Smith for the training, community, and spiritual growth of the women at Fuller Theological Seminary. The original community in 1947 consisted of student, staff, and faculty wives, and grew to include all women of the Seminary staff and student body by the 1960s.
Language of Material: English

Access

Supervised use only. Scholarly use within parameters of copyright law.

Publication Rights

All rights reserved.

Preferred Citation

Philothean Fellowship Collection. Fuller Theological Seminary-David Allan Hubbard Library Archives

Biography/Administrative History

The Philothean Fellowship was an organization initiated by Grace Payton Fuller and Mary Jane Smith for the training, community, and spiritual growth of the women at Fuller Theological Seminary. The original community in 1947 consisted of student, staff, and faculty wives, and grew to include all women of the Seminary staff and student body by the 1960s. The group stayed active until 1974-1975, when its name transitioned to the “Women’s Institute” (1974-1980), and the Office of Women's Concerns opened to monitor all programs and decisions concerning female staff, students, and faculty of Fuller Seminary in 1976. Subsequent support groups for Fuller student spouses included a steering committee (1980-1993), FOCUS (1990-1999), Fuller Wives Fellowship (1993), SUPPORT (1994-c.2015), and CONNECT (c.2015 - ).

Scope and Content of Collection

The Philothean Fellowship Collection, 1947-1961 consists of access and original copies of scrapbooks kept by members of the Fuller Theological Seminary student wives’ group, the Philothean Fellowship. The scrapbooks include photographs, postcard invitations to Seminary social events and lectures, Fuller Seminary convocation and commencement brochures, and the newsletter The Broadcaster.

Indexing Terms

Students
Women in higher education
Theologians' spouses
Teachers' spouses
Spouses of clergy
Missionaries' spouses

Additional collection guides