Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Philothean Fellowship Collection
CFT00137  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (53.14 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Descriptive Summary
  • Access
  • Publication Rights
  • Preferred Citation
  • Acquisition Information
  • Biography/Administrative History
  • Scope and Content of Collection
  • Indexing Terms
  • Additional collection guides

  • Descriptive Summary

    Title: Philothean Fellowship Collection
    Dates: 1947-1961
    Collection Number: CFT00137
    Creator/Collector: Fuller, Grace Payton Fuller Theological Seminary Philothean Fellowship
    Extent: 4 Boxes, 3.46 linear feet
    Repository: Fuller Theological Seminary-David Allan Hubbard Library Archives
    Pasadena, California 91182
    Abstract: The Philothean Fellowship Collection, 1947-1961 consists of access and original copies of scrapbooks and notebooks kept by members of the Fuller Theological Seminary student wives’ group, the Philothean Fellowship. The scrapbooks include photographs, postcard invitations to Seminary social events and lectures, Fuller Seminary convocation and commencement brochures, and the newsletter The Broadcaster. The Philothean Fellowship was an organization initiated by Grace Payton Fuller and Mary Jane Smith for the training, community, and spiritual growth of the women at Fuller Theological Seminary. The original community in 1947 consisted of student, staff, and faculty wives, and grew to include all women of the Seminary staff and student body by the 1960s.
    Language of Material: English

    Access

    Supervised use only. Scholarly use within parameters of copyright law.

    Publication Rights

    All rights reserved.

    Preferred Citation

    Philothean Fellowship Collection. Fuller Theological Seminary-David Allan Hubbard Library Archives

    Biography/Administrative History

    The Philothean Fellowship was an organization initiated by Grace Payton Fuller and Mary Jane Smith for the training, community, and spiritual growth of the women at Fuller Theological Seminary. The original community in 1947 consisted of student, staff, and faculty wives, and grew to include all women of the Seminary staff and student body by the 1960s. The group stayed active until 1974-1975, when its name transitioned to the “Women’s Institute” (1974-1980), and the Office of Women's Concerns opened to monitor all programs and decisions concerning female staff, students, and faculty of Fuller Seminary in 1976. Subsequent support groups for Fuller student spouses included a steering committee (1980-1993), FOCUS (1990-1999), Fuller Wives Fellowship (1993), SUPPORT (1994-c.2015), and CONNECT (c.2015 - ).

    Scope and Content of Collection

    The Philothean Fellowship Collection, 1947-1961 consists of access and original copies of scrapbooks kept by members of the Fuller Theological Seminary student wives’ group, the Philothean Fellowship. The scrapbooks include photographs, postcard invitations to Seminary social events and lectures, Fuller Seminary convocation and commencement brochures, and the newsletter The Broadcaster.

    Indexing Terms

    Students
    Women in higher education
    Theologians' spouses
    Teachers' spouses
    Spouses of clergy
    Missionaries' spouses

    Additional collection guides