Miramar Hotel drawings (Montecito, Calif.) 0000380
Finding aid prepared by Julia Larson
Architecture and Design Collection, Art, Design & Architecture Museum5/24/2019
Arts Building Room 1434
University of California
Santa Barbara, California, 93106-7130
Title: Miramar Hotel drawings
Identifier/Call Number: 0000380
Contributing Institution: Architecture and Design Collection, Art, Design & Architecture Museum
Language of Material: English
Physical Description: 3.0 Linear feet ADC miscellaneous flat files
Date: circa 1904 - 1976
creator: Kruger, Bensen, Ziemer Architects.
creator: McAllister, Wayne
creator: Penfield & Smith.
creator: Riggs, Lutah Maria, 1896-1984
creator: Soule, Murphy and Hastings.
Conditions Governing Access note
Open for use by qualified researchers.
Drawings were Found In Collections (FIC), possibly as part of the Lutah Maria Riggs papers.
Miramar Hotel drawings, Architecture and Design Collection. Art, Design & Architecture Museum; University of California, Santa Barbara.
The Miramar Hotel was started in the 1880s by the Doulton family, which ran a hotel and farm operations on the site between the railroad tracks and Jameson Lane. The hotel and grounds went through many renovations and iterations, and was used by the military as a base (due to its proximity to the railroad and adjacent ocean pier) during World War Two. It was eventually returned to private ownership after the war and continued to be used as a hotel until 2000, when it closed for renovations. All of the original buildings outlined in this collection have been torn down and a new hotel opened in 2019.
Plans are in chronological order in flat file, where date is known.
This collection consists of reprographic copies of plans dating from 1904 until 1976. The earliest drawings are of the Doulton "Sea Side Resort" in 1904. A plot plan for proposed development of the site in 1922 by the firm Soule, Murphy & Hastings. Proposed hotel addition and dining room alterations by Wayne McAllister plot plan, undated. There are also undated drawings of alterations, and a dated plumbing plan from 1948. Multiple copies of topographical maps of the site from 1944, drawn for the AGF-ASF Redistribution Center by the Corps of Engineers for the War Department. Copies of presentation site plans by Lutah Maria Riggs from possibly the 1950s. Copies of the Mean High Tide Line survey from 1958. Site plan detailing buildings to be removed, renovated, or to remain by Kruger, Bensen, Ziemer in 1973-1974. Grading plan for parking lot additions by engineering firm Penfield & Smith, 1976. Aerial photographs and negatives, possibly from the 1960s. Sign plans and elevations, undated.
Related Archival Materials note
Howell, Arendt, Mosher & Grant records, Architecture and Design Collection. Art, Design & Architecture Museum; University of California, Santa Barbara.
Lutah Maria Riggs papers, Architecture and Design Collection. Art, Design & Architecture Museum; University of California, Santa Barbara.