Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Miramar Hotel drawings (Montecito, Calif.) 0000380
0000380  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (52.70 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Conditions Governing Access note
  • Custodial History note
  • Preferred Citation note
  • Biographical/Historical note
  • Arrangement note
  • Scope and Contents note
  • Related Archival Materials note

  • Title: Miramar Hotel drawings
    Identifier/Call Number: 0000380
    Contributing Institution: Architecture and Design Collection, Art, Design & Architecture Museum
    Language of Material: English
    Physical Description: 3.0 Linear feet ADC miscellaneous flat files
    Date: circa 1904 - 1976
    Location note: ADC Misc. drawer 341- end
    creator: Kruger, Bensen, Ziemer Architects.
    creator: McAllister, Wayne
    creator: Penfield & Smith.
    creator: Riggs, Lutah Maria, 1896-1984
    creator: Soule, Murphy and Hastings.

    Conditions Governing Access note

    Open for use by qualified researchers.

    Custodial History note

    Drawings were Found In Collections (FIC), possibly as part of the Lutah Maria Riggs papers.

    Preferred Citation note

    Miramar Hotel drawings, Architecture and Design Collection. Art, Design & Architecture Museum; University of California, Santa Barbara.

    Biographical/Historical note

    The Miramar Hotel was started in the 1880s by the Doulton family, which ran a hotel and farm operations on the site between the railroad tracks and Jameson Lane. The hotel and grounds went through many renovations and iterations, and was used by the military as a base (due to its proximity to the railroad and adjacent ocean pier) during World War Two. It was eventually returned to private ownership after the war and continued to be used as a hotel until 2000, when it closed for renovations. All of the original buildings outlined in this collection have been torn down and a new hotel opened in 2019.

    Arrangement note

    Plans are in chronological order in flat file, where date is known.

    Scope and Contents note

    This collection consists of reprographic copies of plans dating from 1904 until 1976. The earliest drawings are of the Doulton "Sea Side Resort" in 1904. A plot plan for proposed development of the site in 1922 by the firm Soule, Murphy & Hastings. Proposed hotel addition and dining room alterations by Wayne McAllister plot plan, undated. There are also undated drawings of alterations, and a dated plumbing plan from 1948. Multiple copies of topographical maps of the site from 1944, drawn for the AGF-ASF Redistribution Center by the Corps of Engineers for the War Department. Copies of presentation site plans by Lutah Maria Riggs from possibly the 1950s. Copies of the Mean High Tide Line survey from 1958. Site plan detailing buildings to be removed, renovated, or to remain by Kruger, Bensen, Ziemer in 1973-1974. Grading plan for parking lot additions by engineering firm Penfield & Smith, 1976. Aerial photographs and negatives, possibly from the 1960s. Sign plans and elevations, undated.

    Related Archival Materials note

    Howell, Arendt, Mosher & Grant records, Architecture and Design Collection. Art, Design & Architecture Museum; University of California, Santa Barbara.
    Lutah Maria Riggs papers, Architecture and Design Collection. Art, Design & Architecture Museum; University of California, Santa Barbara.