The Los Angeles Motor Car Company Business Records consists of correspondence, telegrams, work orders, invoices, sales receipts,
and minutes for the business dating between 1908 – 1912.
The Los Angeles Motor Car Company (LAMCC) was incorporated in Los Angeles County on 3rd of October 1908. The Incorporation
records list the following people as the original directors of the company: Ralph J. Leavitt, LaBree (LaBrae) Leavitt and
Nathan P. Bundy. According to the Incorporation records the primary purpose of the company was “…To own, sell, manufacture,
transfer, lease and deal in automobiles and vehicles of all descriptions.”
The business was located at the corner of Hill and Pico Streets in Los Angeles (1301 S. Hill Street), in a building that previously
housed the Success Automobile Corporation. The Los Angeles Motor Car Company was the Southern California distributor for Locomobile
of America, headquartered in Bridgeport, Connecticut.
Los Angeles Motor Car Company’s main line of business was selling the various models of Locomobiles in Los Angeles, Fresno,
Santa Barbara, and San Diego. They also sold Locomobiles to various mining companies including Gold Star Mines Company in
Dome, Arizona and Imperial Development Company Hechicera, B.C. Mexico. As part of their business the company serviced the
cars, assisted with car insurance, ordered and distributed parts for the Locomobiles.
Officers: Ralph J. Leavitt (1908-1910), LaBee or LaBae Leavitt (1908-1909), Nathan P. Bundy (1908), Samuel MacConnell (1908),
H,.M. Cain (1908), Charles M. Cotton (General Manager 1910-1912), Valentine Peyton (President 1910-1912), Robert C. Peyton