Building survey forms and photographs compiled by the City of San Jose Building Inspector between March 20 - April 13, 1961,
believed to be part of a neighborhood survey completed for the Park Center Plaza Redevelopment Project in downtown San Jose.
Park Center Plaza was the San Jose Redevelopment Agency's first major urban renewal project, designating thirteen blocks in
the west-of-Market neighborhood to be leveled and replaced by a high-rise commercial center. Plans were announced to residents
in 1959 and city inspectors visited the properties to assess them as part of the City's plans to purchase properties at fair-market-value.
The area was declared "blighted" by the San Jose City Council on February 25, 1960, and the official redevelopment plan was
adopted on July 24, 1961. Groundbreaking ceremony took place in July, 1968 and most of the buildings were completed by 1972.
Contact History San Jose's Research Library & Archives for information on publication and reproduction.
Open to the public for research by appointment. The photographs have been scanned and are available to view online.