Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Los Angeles & Salt Lake Railroad Dockets
MS 695  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (55.04 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Overview
 
Table of contents What's This?
Description
This collection contains twenty-four volumes of dockets and indexes relating to cases involving the San Pedro, Los Angeles & Salt Lake, Los Angeles & Salt Lake Railroad and the Union Pacific Railroad for the years 1902 to 1980.
Background
The San Pedro, Los Angeles & Salt Lake Railroad Company, incorporated in Utah on March 20, 1901, operated between Los Angeles and Salt Lake City via Las Vegas. It originated as a small line, the Los Angeles Terminal Railway, which was incorporated in 1890. The San Pedro, Los Angeles & Salt Lake Railroad was owned by the U.S. Senator from Montana, William Andrews Clark. Competition between the San Pedro, Los Angeles & Salt Lake Railroad and the Union Pacific Railroad to build a route between Southern California and Salt Lake through Las Vegas ended in 1903 when Senator Clark sold Union Pacific Railroad half interest in the San Pedro, Los Angeles and Salt Lake and its subsidiaries. The two companies agreed to proceed jointly in the construction of the line. In May 1905, construction of the main line was completed between Los Angeles and Las Vegas (334 miles) and from Salt Lake City to Las Vegas. A joint trackage agreement allowed the railroad to use Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway tracks over the Cajon Pass. San Pedro was dropped from the corporate name effective August 25, 1916. On April 27, 1921, Union Pacific purchased the remaining half of Senator Clark's holdings in the railroad. The Los Angeles and Salt Lake remained the official name of the "Salt Lake Route," until it was formally merged into the UP (effective January 1, 1988).
Extent
24 volumes
Restrictions
Copyright has not been assigned to the California State Railroad Museum. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Head Librarian. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the CSRM as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the reader.
Availability
This collection is open for research at our off-site storage facility with one week's notice. Contact Library & Archives staff to arrange for access.